Chapter fifty-one: Brave

James

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Harlee was being friendly towards me.

She had allowed me to sit by her during the bonfire.

We were talking, which was good, even though it felt like there was a huge invisible gap between us as we did.

But all seemed well between us for the most part.

Besides the fact, my sworn enemy was sitting on the other side of her with his arm around her shoulders.

I knew he was trying to make me feel jealous, and it was working.

It was working so well that I was about ready to slug him.

But thankfully, before I did something stupid, Harlee shrugged his arm off her herself. Then she excused herself to get something to drink and practically ran away. Rachel hurried after her leaving Jasper, Evan, and me on the log together.

Once they were out of earshot, Jasper said to me,

"Don't look so jealous, James. It's not your fault Harlee doesn't like you anymore. I'm just way better looking and a lot more fun."

Ironically, right then, he stared back down at his phone.

"Yeah, you're a real rush of adrenaline," I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. Then I went to sit by Evan until Rachel came back.

Otherwise, I might resort to tearing Jasper's blonde hair out.

"Hey, having fun?" I asked him.

He nodded his head and started bubbling with excitement as he spoke,

"A great time. We were just talking about some of our favorite anime.

You know she said I remind her of Kenji from Holy Union?? Do you know how big of a compliment that is?"

I laughed, "You both love the same anime. A match made in heaven."

"You think so?" His eyes brightened.

"Because I think I want to ask her to be my girlfriend," he told me.

My eyebrows quirked at his statement. Obviously, Hyland's dating advice to us from earlier hadn't resonated with him.

But I had a feeling maybe, in Evan's case, it wouldn't need to. He seemed to care about Rachel a lot, and vice versa. If I could see anyone pursuing a long-term relationship at thirteen, it was those two.

"That sounds like a good idea," I told him.

A gleaming smile overtook his face. "Hope she says yes," he said excitedly.

"Yeah, uh, quick question, why did you refer to Harlee as," I lowered my voice, "Jasper's 'date' just now?" I asked him.

I still felt furious about it. Evan had said to Jasper, "You don't see me ignoring my date the way you're ignoring yours," and that was when Jasper threw his arm around Harlee's shoulder and asked her if she was having a good time.

I knew Evan had been trying to help me by pointing out what a bad date Jasper was to Harlee, but it had actually only upset me.

Because Harlee didn't refute that they were on a date, she just agreed she was having a good time.

And her saying that irked me even more.

"Because I was trying to help," Evan replied simply as he put together a s'more. "Show Harlee what a horrible boyfriend he'd make."