Chapter forty-six: Sweet thirteen

Harlee

🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖

My thirteenth birthday was a memorable one.

It happened to fall on the same day as the opening of the Winnington Town Fair. Since I didn't have any friends to celebrate it with, besides Jasper (who I doubted would be interested), I took my Mom up on her offer to make it a family outing.

And I was glad to. I needed a break from the problems, drama, and hormones of all my friends and ex-friends.

Neither of my parents could get the day off, so our celebration was scheduled for later that night. I planned to spend the day giving myself the relaxation time I needed by just chilling in my room and watching Starstreamflix all day.

I woke up that morning to see Rachel had sent me a happy birthday text. Dad had sent me birthday wishes as well, and at the end of his message, he said he and Mom had an "awesome gift" for me. Mom sent a long emotional message about how proud she was of the young lady I was, and let me know that there was a birthday breakfast for me downstairs.

Gratefully, I sent them all thank-yous before springing from my bed. I went over to open up my blinds to let the sun in, and I saw someone else had remembered. The words "Happy 13th birthday Harlee" were spelled out with hanging letters and numbers in James' window.

I scratched the back of my head and grinned. Even though we weren't friends anymore, James could still make me smile.

I had a feeling, although so much had, that would never change.

"Had enough cotton candy yet, Harlee?" Dad asked me.

"Definitely not," I said, shoving another piece of the fluffy blue substance into my mouth. "No such thing as too much of this stuff."

My parents laughed.

We were strolling through the town fair chatting and snacking.

Well, I was snacking anyway.

The sun had gone to rest for the day, and the black curtain of night sky had replaced it. A canopy of stars flickered through it, their brilliance like dancing fireflies.

Most of the rides were closed, but we had gotten the chance to ride the majority of them. Besides the Ferris wheel, that is, because the line had been endless. But most of the traffic had slowed by now. Voices were fading into the night as people left the park.

"Ready for your gift, Harlee?" Dad asked me.

"Oh, you're going to give it to me here? I asked.

"I wrapped it already, so why not?" he replied.

Mom stopped walking, and her eyes widened in disbelief at him.

"Austin, you weren't supposed to wrap the gift??" she said to him, sounding horrified.

"I wasn't?" he asked, dumbfounded.

"Of course not!" she replied.

Dad and Mom exchanged worried glances, and then he raced away toward the parking lot. Confused as to what all that had been about, I pointed towards the Ferris wheel.

"Look, the Ferris wheel is still open, and no line. Come on." I tugged on Mom's arm gently. "I've always liked the idea of riding a Ferris wheel at night," I told her.

We headed over toward it and paid our admission. Mom and I sat side by side as the attendant secured us in. Then he pushed the lever to start up the ride, and the wheel began elevating.

I reached into my pocket to take a selfie then thought better of it.

Why not just enjoy the moment? I thought.