Chapter six: Bye seventh grade

James

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

"Come on, James! Let's go!" Evan called me from the hallway outside of Mr. Jonesbury's classroom.

I glanced around the empty room, feeling both relieved and sentimental.

Relieved, I would not have to see my ex-best friend five days a week anymore, but sentimental at the fact seeing her there once filled me with so much happiness.

A lonely sigh escaped my lips as I stared at the chairs stacked atop the desks, and the desks pushed into the corner. I removed a chair from a desk then sat on top of the desk. I just wanted to think and breathe for a second. Everything was happening too fast.

Everyone else was already outside heading home except a few faculty members. The last day of school had come and gone, and now it was time to greet summer vacation with open arms. We'd spent most of the day at the park across from Oceanview, playing games and picnicking to bid the school year a fun farewell.

Evan and I hung out by ourselves mostly, and he kept his word to ignore Harlee.

She hadn't seemed to notice that he was ignoring her yet.

She had made yet another new friend.

I'd seen them sitting together at lunch, and by the time we returned to school, the two seemed inseparable.

I was riddled with envy.

For various reasons, one being I was jealous of Harlee and her ability to make friends so easily and so quickly.

First with Farrah, and now this other girl.

Was it that easy to move on from me?

And I was jealous of the girl, whoever she was, for stealing my former best friend. But everything that was happening felt like karma for the way I'd cut things off with Harlee. So instead of being sad or angry, I just tried to let it be.

Evan's voice called me once again, and I turned around to see him walking into the classroom.

"Dude," he said, taking a chair off the desk beside me and sitting on top of the desk. "What's up, James? Why are you just sitting here when everyone else is outside?"

I clenched my fist then opened it.

The reality of summer without Harlee was really starting to get to me. That realization, along with my preteen hormones, tripled with the lack of sleep I'd been dealing with from regret and angst was just a lot to deal with.

Why did things have to be so complicated?

Why did growing up have to be so hard?

Evan's eyes bored into my skull, and I knew I had to give him an answer before he thought I was crazy.

"You know I've never been into doing what everyone else does," I said, leaning against the wall behind me, letting my eyes slip shut.

Maybe, if I closed them, I'd fall asleep.

Then I could wake up and realize this all had been a nightmare.

Evan was quiet for a moment before responding. "Yeah, that's why we're so different," he said, then copied my movement by leaning against the wall behind us. "I always follow the crowd. You try to deviate from it, and then...Harlee leads it."

My eyes snapped open at the mention of her name, and I narrowed them at him. "What happened to not mentioning the H-word?" I said sourly, sitting up from my position.

Evan's hazel irises widened in realization.

"Right sorry; it just takes some getting used to," he apologized.

I brushed it off and felt ashamed for my irritability towards him. After all, he was giving up his friendship with Harlee just to help me; he deserved my politeness and my gratitude as well.

"Sorry, Evan. It's not you that I'm mad at," I told him, leaning against the wall again.

"Okay. I understand," Evan replied, sounding sheepish.

I knew he really didn't, so I tried my best to explain it to him.

"I just wish things didn't have to change so much. Why can't we just be kids forever, you know? We're only twelve now. Can you imagine how much it'll change once we turn thirteen?"

Evan looked at me, eyes still bearing confusion.

Another sigh poured through my parted lips.

There was more I needed to say for him to understand it, but I just wasn't ready to. I stood from my desk and motioned for him to follow.

He gave our classroom one final look before standing to his feet as well.

We both put the chairs back where they belonged then headed towards the doorway.

"Bye, seventh grade," I said softly before shutting off the light and leaving the classroom for good.