Chapter twenty-eight: Sugar rush

Harlee

🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖

The Amazing Race was turning out to be an amazing catastrophe.

At Sandy's Candy, we were given three tasks for that particular pit stop. Each designated task required a photo. For the first task's selfie, Farrah shoved Rachel into a table to make sure she wasn't the one beside Evan when the camera captured the picture.

Rachel didn't take kindly to that.

So for the next task, when we were supposed to taste some of the candy samples, she "accidentally" knocked Farrah's bag of goodies onto the floor.

This was getting way out of hand, but what happened next was even worse than the previous two incidents.

For the third task, we were supposed to help Sandy box up seven to-go orders in the kitchen. After she greeted us, she led us back into the kitchen.

She had everything set out ahead of time. On the table, there were bowls of various candies, boxes, ribbons, colored tissue paper, and name tags for the orders we were supposed to fill out. Sandy handed each of us an order and an apron to borrow.

I remembered Rachel and my last experience in a kitchen and felt relieved we weren't actually going to be cooking.

Worry seemed to be far from Rachel's mind, though; in fact, she still seemed to be feeling pretty bold.

"I hope that apron can fit over your big head, Farrah," she remarked under her breath, as she pulled her hair out from underneath the apron she herself was putting on.

Farrah put her hands on her hips and retorted angrily,

"At least, I admit I have a problem with vanity. You, on the other hand, try and act all innocent and perfect, then go around stabbing people in the back."

"She finally admits she has a problem," Rachel smirked, turning toward the candy prep table.

Farrah opened her mouth to say something else back, but I cut her off at the chance.

"Okay, enough," I said tiredly for what felt like the millionth time.

I'd been playing referee the entire trip.

Evan was too oblivious to even realize the girls were fighting over him.

Amy, of course, was on Farrah's side during it all.

And James and Hyland seemed to notice the tension, but neither of them said anything, so I was left to deal with the conflict myself.

I tried to focus on what Sandy was saying as she gave us the packaging instructions.

Hopefully, this could go smoothly.

"It's a very simple process. You put the candy in the bag; the bags in the box; toss in a little tissue paper; then close the box up; tie the ribbon around it; and add the name tag that I've already written out for you," she explained while demonstrating what to do.

"Sounds easy enough," Evan remarked, popping a gummy bear from one of the bowls into his mouth.

Sandy's smile turned upside down.

"Oh, but try not to eat the customers' orders, dear. Most people, when they order something, would like their full order," she informed him.

He nodded his head obediently.

"Guess this is why I could never work in a candy shop then," he joked.

Rachel and Farrah giggled simultaneously, then stopped and glared at each other.