// the entries //

chapter songamerica: i need you"i need you / like the flower needs the rain / you know, i need you / guess i'll start it all again / you know, i need you / like the winter needs the spring / you know, i need you / i need you"(yes el is hugging nik...

chapter song
america: i need you
"i need you / like the flower needs the rain / you know, i need you / guess i'll start it all again / you know, i need you / like the winter needs the spring / you know, i need you / i need you"
(yes el is hugging nikki up above)

2019

Nikki's entry

There was part of me that was so pissed that El purchased fucking first class tickets to fly us from LA to Jerome; however, there was a bigger part of me that could definitely get used to this new life of luxury. On the whole plane ride over, I was so excited to see Nona and Tom. As soon as I sat down in the driver's seat of the rental car, I was immediately filled with anxiety. The car ride was maybe twenty minutes, but my God did it feel a million years long. I could feel my bones knocking against each other with how nervous I was, and for what? This was my family. I was being foolish.

El, of course, let me how foolish I was being as soon as we pulled in the driveway. She reminded me of the phone call I had shared with Nona not too long before that where she told me how badly she wanted to see me. She was always good at that, calming me down. All it took was one kiss to the forehead and I was putty in her hands. How punk rock of me.

-

El's entry

Nona and Tom's house was exactly as I expected. Small, cute, and quaint. It reminded me of being home in Louisiana. It was nice to be somewhere so quiet and peaceful. There was no movement on the roads. No hustle and bustle to get caught up in. Just family and the important things in life. That was something I found myself missing often. I was at a place in my life where I carried a lot of regret and there were a lot of things I wish I could go back and do differently. I could already tell that this trip was going to be positive for me.

As soon as Nona saw Nikki, I thought she was gonna hit the floor. It was so heartwarming to see that reunion. I felt honored to be the one to bring them back together, and I'd do it over and over again to make sure they didn't have to spend so much time apart. It didn't do anybody any good to stay separated like that. Not when life was too short.

Nona was fond of me from the very beginning. I'll bet she would've been fond of anyone who brought Nikki back to her.

-

Nikki's entry

El is being modest. Nona adored her until the day she died and I'm sure even beyond the grave. She was so baffled that her hard-headed punk of a grandson manage to score someone like El and bring her home to meet the family. She was even more baffled that I managed to find someone to put up with my shit. Nona knew how off-the-rails I could be.

Somehow in the midst of catching up with Nona and Tom, I let it slip that I was in love with El. How I managed to do that is beyond me. I was just hoping that no one caught it, but was I ever that lucky? The answer is no, for those of you wondering. I felt my stomach fall out of my ass when El called me out on it. "In love with me, huh?" I can still hear it clear as day and it's been 38 years. That fucking woman, I'm telling you. She always knew how to make me squirm. Fuck, who am I kidding? She still does.