☆ THIRTY TWO ☆

chapter songsay anything: all my friends"my friends are just neighbors / that steal from me when i'm not home"

chapter song
say anything: all my friends
"my friends are just neighbors / that steal from me when i'm not home"

1984

"Okay listen," El said as she swiftly sat down across from Vera, "I know you're pissed at me for cancelling yesterday-,"

"Because I should be more important than your douchebag boyfriend," Vera scoffed.

"That's douchebag fiancé, actually," El replied, flashing her ring up to show Vera. Vera gasped and grabbed her hand.

"Dude, you're getting married!?"

"Apparently!" El laughed.

"You're like twelve!"

"I'm thirteen, dick," El joked.

"How did he even afford this?" Vera asked, pulling the ring closer for further inspection.

"He didn't," El answered, causing Vera to raise her brows. "It's my mom's."

Vera choked a little on her coffee. "But that means-,"

"He went and asked my mom for permission," El was beaming and Vera was happy for her friend, but she kind of hated Nikki.

"Are you sure you want to marry him?" Vera was genuinely curious as to what her friend found in him.

"Uh, yes," El was taken aback, "and I'd like you to be my maid of honor." Vera bit her lip in consideration and El sensed the hesitation. "What, you've seriously got to consider if you even want to come to my wedding?"

"I just don't want to see you hurt, that's all," Vera explained, but El was having none of it.

"Why would I get hurt? We've been together for three years and we've been just fine."

"I just, I know guys like him, El," Vera ran a hand through her hair. "They're no good."

"People are capable of change," El was seriously annoyed by the lack of excitement from her best friend. "I'm fully aware of the person Nikki was before we started dating, but as soon as I came in the picture, he straightened up." El said, but Vera still looked weary. "Look, if you were seriously concerned about my wellbeing in my relationship, you would've said something a long time ago. You wouldn't have let it progress this far."

"I just never thought it would get to this point," Vera shrugged.

"What did you think would happen?" El was in disbelief. "We were obviously bound to take the next step!"

"He didn't seem like the type to settle down, is all I'm saying," Vera was tight lipped and it was pissing El off.

"Oh please," El scoffed, "Nikki has been head over heels for me since the night I walked into his dressing room. It doesn't matter if he didn't seem like the type to settle down because he wants to settle down with me." El paused to regain her breath, but she couldn't hesitate to ask the question she desperately wanted the answer to. "Why are you acting like you give a shit about my life and happiness?"