☆ FIFTY THREE ☆

chapter songthe killers: move away"while i move away / hard times don't come until tomorrow"

chapter song
the killers: move away
"while i move away / hard times don't come until tomorrow"

1985

"I'm Nina Blackwood and you're watching MTV. Trouble in rock and roll paradise? El Everly of The Sycophants filed for divorce from Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx earlier this week, citing irreconcilable differences. The pair had only been married six months, but have been together since 1981. Neither Everly nor Sixx have commented on the matter since news broke, but we will keep you updated on the story. In other news—,"

El turned the television off and stared at the wall. "I want to die."

"I know," Del squeezed her shoulder, "but it's record release day, bitch. We've got Letterman tonight. We're back, baby!"

"Yay!" El sarcastically cheered.

"You could at least pretend to be excited."

"I am excited," El groaned. "I just wish my personal business wasn't plastered across MTV."

"You're a celeb, babe," Del laughed. "You have no personal business." She dragged El to the edge of the bed. "Now cheer up! It's Margo's first big thing with us!"

Margo Stone, drummer extraordinaire, freshly 21 and the best thing since sliced bread. She was an angel, a real godsend to the band. They were initially going to use Tommy to lay down the drum tracks for the record, but El's marriage went to shit and it would've been a real conflict of interest. Panic began to set in as they were strapped for time, but Del's girlfriend at the time had a younger sister who had a best friend that was a kick ass drummer and now here they are six months later.

In truth, El was scared shitless for Letterman. She prayed that he wouldn't ask any questions about the failure of her marriage and would keep the conversation steered directly on the band their new album Sawdust. However, she kept her expectations low and asked the universe for a single shred of strength to pull her through this devastating, excruciatingly painful time.

"I'm so fuckin' excited!" Margo exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around the shoulders of El and Del. El laughed at her giddiness and laid her head against Margo's shoulder.

"You good, Jude?" Del raised her brows at her band mate.

"Yeah, just gonna be on national television, no biggie," he chugged a bottle of water, wiping the sweat off his forehead.

"Wouldn't be the first time," Del shrugged.

"Everyone has been watching us for a year with a magnifying glass waiting to see if we'd slip through the cracks, so pardon me for being nervous," he threw the empty water bottle at Del's feet.

"Quit being so fucking dramatic. We made it, we're here, and we're gonna prove everyone wrong," she reasoned, lighting a cigarette.

"Hey guys," the production assistant popped his head in the door, "you're on in five. Come with me."