Chapter 14 - It's time to breakup with her (J)

I was watching ‘Noah’ in my laptop when I heard noises coming from the receiver setup on my study table. Closing the laptop, I went to sit at the table to hear what’s happening at Emily’s place.

“What’s happening? Why are the girls in our house?” I heard Anna ask in a confused tone.

“Shush. I invited them for a girls’ night out. You were late every day, so I forgot to tell you” Em said.

“Fine. But why did you pull me here when everyone’s downstairs?”

“I wanted to talk to you, about Jason” Emily talked in almost a whisper that I could barely hear.

“What do you want to talk about?” she asked coolly as if she’s not angry at me hours ago.

“Umm.. Are you angry at Jason? Because I can assure you---”

Cutting her off, Anna replied “Why would I be angry at him? He’s my friend Em, my best friend. I was just upset at that time”

“Oh. You just seemed angry at him in the morning. So I thought of telling you the truth. He came to see you yesterday and waited hours for you to come home but you were late.”

“He did?” she chirped.

“Yeah, he did. I wanted to tell you since you misunderstood him. He really cares for you Anna” There was awkward silence for few seconds before I heard Emily speak again “Ok enough of Jason now; since everyone’s home let’s get ready” There were shuffling sounds at the other end for a while followed by something that sounded like zipping or unzipping of a dress.   

Jesus. They’re changing clothes. I quickly pulled off some random wire not wanting to be a pervert. What was I thinking putting a microphone in my friend’s room who happens to be a girl. What would she think of me if she knew what I had done.

Screw the plan. I don’t want to know what they’ll be doing if I get to hear awkward things such as this. As much as I wanted to know what their idea of fun is, I don’t want to be a pervert than I already was.

Plucking all the wires and putting the equipment safely in a card board box, I went to sleep.

*******

School started the following Monday and I was very eager to meet my friends; okay fine I was eager to meet Anna since I haven’t seen her after our little fight. I went early to my trig class hoping to have a conversation with her if she gets early but was disappointed when she turned up just as Mr. James walked into the class. However I was surprised seeing her in a different style; she still wasn’t wearing specs and her hair was let down covering one half of her face.

I waited the next hour patiently for the class to end so that I’d get to talk to her. But she left the room immediately after the class ended and didn’t come to the next class until the teacher came. The same thing happened for the next classes too; she disappeared once the class ended and didn’t turn up until the teacher walked into the class. Surprised by her actions I decided to meet her during lunch but when I reached our table she wasn’t sitting there either.

“Where is Anna?” I asked Emily who was sitting alone at one end of the table.

“I—I don’t know” she said not meeting my eyes.

I need not be a genius to figure out she’s lying. But, what is she hiding from me?

“What happened Em? Why isn’t she here?” I said trying to sound calm.

“I don’t know. She told me not to wait for her”

I didn’t persuade her to answer truthfully since I already knew she isn’t going to tell any further. Emily can never hide things from her friends but if she is does, then she is definitely not going to open up.