Chapter 23 - I can't believe we had a similar drama in our lives (A)

I felt my world crashing down hearing those words.

I am not your father. I am not your father. I am not your father.

I felt like I was pulled into vacuum and all I could hear were those words my dad uttered; how ironic to still think of him as dad when he just said he is not. I didn’t stop hearing them until I felt someone shake my shoulders snapping me out of my worst nightmare. I turned to see an equally shocked Jason who looked panicked at my state.

He hugged me tight running his palm up and down my spine which eased me instantly but the pain, the pain in my heart didn’t seem to lessen.

So, what now? He is not my father? No, it can’t be. He loved me so much; he did so many things for me. He was the best dad one can ever ask.

May be he is lying; maybe he just wanted an excuse for all that he did years back. Yes, that has to be it. But why did his face look like he is not lying.

“I am so sorry Anna for hiding the truth all these years” He mumbled with regret and sorrow in his eyes.

I still looked at him in shock; no words coming out of my mouth and ironically no tears either. Seeing that I am in no position to talk Jason started “Why? -----W-Whaaaat? -------- H-H- How? ”

I would have laughed at his choice of questions under normal circumstances but this situation I am now facing is definitely not something you face in your daily life. Who would have guessed my once lovely perfect dad is not my dad actually.

“I will tell everything Anna dear, I was the reason your mom hid the truth from everyone including you. I am so sorry for everything”

I remained quiet while Jason said “Please start telling sir. I am sure there’s a lot to know”

My da—I mean Daniel nodded “I met Dana when my family moved to this city 30 years ago. She was the first friend I made here and we were inseparable ever since”

Dana - my mother. A small doubt crept in my mind thinking of her; is she my mother or in some twisted play of fate will I realize that she is not my mother too. I thought of voicing my doubt but hearing him speak again I remained silent.

“She always saw me as her best friend while I-- I was secretly in love with her. I always wanted to ask her out but never had the guts to do so; while she dated a few guys from our high school I never went after another girl”

Though I am hearing him confess his one-side love/sob story I couldn’t help but think that every high school has these kinds of stories happening around; it even seemed close to mine and Jason’s.

“Once when she was suffering through a bad breakup phase, she had a one night stand with one of the rich guys at school which resulted in a pregnancy” he said looking at me.

Ouch! A one night stand? I was the result of a faulty condom?

“I blamed myself for not being with her when she needed me the most; I was on a vacation with my family when she broke up with her boyfriend and went to some stupid party where she got knocked up”

When I didn’t say anything he continued “She went to your father and explained everything but he panicked, like every guy of his age does. He left the city without a note and never came back un-until----, never mind”

“I – I couldn’t see the girl I love, broken and dejected and—and so – so I took the responsibility of being the father of her child. She didn’t agree initially saying she doesn’t want to spoil my life but I—I confessed I would do anything for the girl I loved”