Chapter 22: "Gravity of You"

(Chapter 21)
"Gravity of You"

Monday, March 16
4:30pm

"Congratulations," Cameron said emotionless.

"Who was that?!"

Cameron stared at Jillian, not answering.

"Cameron, who was in my room?" She demanded.

No answer.

"I know you know who it was! And now that person is stalking me! What's he going to do to me?" She almost yelled.

"Okay, take it down a notch, he's not going to hurt you," he finally said.

"Who. Is. He?"

"Why would I tell you?"

"Why would you want to keep him secret?"

"There's a reason why."

"What reason?"

"Jillian... I don't know why he's still putting on that mask and watching you. I can't answer for his behaviour."

"Why was he in my room?"

"He was helping me".

"Helping you how?"

"Breaking into your house. He got startled when you hit him and he panicked, which is why he attacked back. You should have known it wasn't me; I'd never hurt you."

"You tried to kill me," Jillian snapped.

"That was when you made me reach my breaking point. Have I ever laid a single finger on you before that night?"

"You know who he is. Please Cameron, what am I supposed to do? Why is he still watching me? What if he tries to hurt me?"

"I think we're done here."

"No! No, we're not! Cameron, you love me!"

Cameron stopped and looked at her.
".... So, now you see it."

"Yes... I do," she admitted.

"I did. I don't know if I still do, but I did."

"Then why would you let this guy hurt me?"

"He won't."

"How do you know? ... Can you at least tell me who he is?"

"... I swore to him I'd never tell you who he is."

"That's the only reason why?"

"... Yes. If I wasn't in here, I could protect you. But, I don't know what else I can do."

"You could tell me who he is."

"I just told you, I can't."

Cameron sighed and sat back down.
"Look, the truth is, he promised me he wouldn't hurt you as long as I never tell you who he is. That's why I can't tell you. To keep you safe. That's probably why he thinks he can still follow you around. Maybe he took up his own obsession with you. But, he won't hurt you. I promise."

"That's not very comforting."

"Sorry, Jill."

Jillian's expression fell.
"... That's the first apology you've ever given me."

"Yeah, well. He's someone I can't actively protect you from."

"Okay."

"You should go now."

"Thanks, Cameron."

He nodded, stood up and left.
~

Outside the prison, Darren was waiting for Jillian.

"Hey, you okay? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No, of course not."

"So, what happened?" Darren asked.

"Remember the time the masked Admirer broke into my room and I punched him?"

"Yeah."

"That wasn't Cameron."

"Then who was it?"

"He wouldn't tell me."

"So, someone who helped Cameron stalk you is now stalking you himself?"

"Pretty much."

"And we have no idea who?"

"Yup."

"Great. Come on, let's get out of here."
~

Outside Shae's house, Jillian pulled Darren aside.

"Listen, maybe we should take some time apart," Jillian told him.

"Wait, what? Are you breaking up with me?"

"No! No, of course not! It's just... I don't want you getting hurt again."

"So, you want it to be like last time where we keep our distance until this thing blows over?"

"Look, it's just-"

"No," he didn't let her finish.

"No?"

"No. Fuck that. You're my girlfriend now, Jillian. I'm not going to be bullied into keeping my distance from you again especially when this guy hasn't even done anything yet but stare at you from a distance. If he ever does decide to get aggressive, there's no way in hell you can keep me away from you when someone is threatening to hurt you. I don't give a fuck what happens, I'm staying right by your side no matter what."

"Darren, if anything ever happened to you-"

"Nothings happened. I get you're trying to protect me but I need to protect you too. I'd never let anything happen to you. Thinking about everything we've been through, the thought of it happening again... I don't want to let you out of my sight. We're in this together."

Jillian hugged him.
"I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Hey! You're back," Shae came out of her house.

"Yeah," Jillian said.

"Jillian, I'm so, so sorry. I shouldn't have said anything, I wasn't thinking, I-"

"Shae, it's okay. I overreacted. I was just really spooked."

"So, um, what happened?"

Jillian filled her in on her whole conversation with Cameron.

"So... you were right. This isn't over," Shae realised.

"No. It's not."

END OF CHAPTER