Chapter 4: "Goodbye, Apathy"

(Chapter 4)
"Goodbye, Apathy"

Monday, September 10
8:00am

"Hey, Darren, right?" Roland approached Darren before the beginning of their math class.

"Yeah, hey."

"I'm Roland. I met your girlfriend at the frat party Saturday. Jillian."

"She's my fiancée, yes."

"She really lights up when she talks about you."

Darren laughed.

"So, you're in physics, too?" Roland asked.

"Well, astronomy."

"That's really amasing."

"Hey, Darren," Monica came up to them.

"Hey, Monica."

"This is Julia, she's my roommate."

"Hi," Julia said softly.

"And this is Rachel, she's one of Shae's roommates."

"Hey," Rachel nodded.

"What do you think of the professor so far?" Darren asked them.

"Honestly, he seems nice enough. What you would really expect from a math professor," Monica answered.

"Yeah, I'm really warming up to him," Julia said.

"Me, too," Rachel agreed.

"Hey, everyone. Let's pick up from last week," James Andrews addressed the class.

Later...

Alright, I have astronomy now, Darren thought to himself.

In the classroom, Patrick Matthews was giving a lecture to the class.

"So, before telescopes were even invented, studies of stars were done by the naked eye. Astrometry was done by mapping the positions of the stars and planets. An early development was done by the Babylonians, they laid the foundation for the later astronomical traditions that developed in many other civilizations. The Babylonians discovered that lunar eclipses recurred in a repeating cycle known as a saros.
Following the Babylonians, significant advances in astronomy were made in ancient Greece and the Hellenistic world. Greek astronomy is characterized from the start by seeking a rational, physical explanation for celestial phenomena."

God, I could teach this class myself.

"During the Renaissance, Nicolaus Copernicus proposed a heliocentric model of the solar system. His work was supported by Galileo Galilei and expanded upon by Johannes Kepler. Kepler was the first to devise a system that correctly described the details of the motion of the planets around the Sun. However, Kepler didn't succeed in forming a theory behind the laws he wrote down. It was Isaac Newton, with his invention of celestial dynamics and his law of gravitation, who finally explained the motions of the planets. Newton also developed the reflecting telescope."

He's young.
He's probably brand new here.
At least it seems he knows what he's talking about.
~

In Shae's English class, she met up with Sarah and Brielle.

"Hey, Sarah," Shae greeted.

"Hey, Shae!" Sarah exclaimed.

"Hey, guys," Brielle said to them.

"How was the rest of your weekend?" Sarah asked.

"It was good, I was with Jackson the whole time," Shae said.