nineteen.

Taehyung feels pain everywhere as he comes to. His limbs feel like lead and there are bright dots at the edge of his vision. Despite his feverish head, he tries to sit up and get out of this uncomfortable cot. 

He looks around the unfamiliar hospital room, eyes landing on a clipboard hung up next to him. A doctor's messy scrawl filled the form. He caught a few words before turning away to rest his aching eyes.  

"Recommended: 16 days of therapy with Dr. Ahn"  

The sun was low in the sky, casting a violet hue to the sky. The room was filled with the industrial smell of the machines. A soft murmur sounded from beside him. Taehyung followed the small voice to its owner. 

There's a man dressed in a pressed suit next to him. His head hung low on his chest, arms crossed over, and Taehyung could hear soft snores coming from him. He sits himself up on his elbow, trying to see the young man closer. His eyes throbbed and he kept them barely open. 

Hot pain seared up the arm he was supporting himself on. He gave out a distressed yelp and fell back onto the bed, staring at the multiple needles stabbed into his hand. The man beside him woke up at the sound. Now Taehyung could see bags under the man's big eyes as he raised his head. His features were stark under the dull light of the hospital room. Despite his bedraggled appearance and bloodshot orbs, the young man grinned wide, showing his pretty bunny smile. 

Taehyung smiled back. "You look worse than me, Gguk." 

Jeongguk wordlessly stood and engulfed his lover in a tight hug. Taehyung giggled, despite his abused throat, and hugged back. The CEO pulled back and showered Taehyung with soft kisses all over his face, ending at his lips. He murmured gentle nothings in his ear and stroked his thumb over his baby's hand. 

From time to time, Jeongguk turned his fond eyes up, and Taehyung made sure to crack a smile when their eyes met. Though inside Taehyung was suffocated. His skin felt like a fresh bruise, his head pounding so hard he was sure it was audible.

They sat in a long comfortable silence, with Jeongguk staring at Taehyung's hand and Taehyung at Jeongguk's face. Finally, a broken voice escaped from the CEO's lips.

"I'm sorry, baby. I couldn't protect you, I'm so sorry..."

Taehyung smiled and cupped his lover's cheek with his free hand. His thumb caressed Jeongguk's silky skin. His teary eyes met Taehyung's tender ones. 

"None of this was y-your fault, love." His voice was hoarse and grainy, betraying his efforts to appear fine.

Taehyung's delicate grip was confident and balmy, it felt soothing to Jeongguk's raging mind. 

"B-but, he hurt you, and I wasn't there..."

Taehyung placed a slender finger on Jeongguk's chapped lips. He brushed his tears away and squeezed their joined hands. 

"I... couldn't save y-you..."

Taehyung smiled. He felt a haze wash over his vision, letting a few words slip out before laying his head back on the pillow. 

"...At l-least you're here now..."

Jeongguk felt his eyes sting and fill, watching Taehyung slowly slip back into slumber. He sighed and looked down at Taehyung's receding grip on his hand. He pulled his hand up to his lips, tears flowing down his face. 

"...I-I'll always b-be here..."

- - - 

1 week later

Jeongguk laid awake, an arm thrown over his forehead. He stared up at his dark grey ceiling, his eyes begging for slumber, but his mind not allowing him. 

4 days had passed after Taehyung was discharged from the hospital, Jeongguk taking it upon himself to accompany him almost everywhere. Taehyung didn't mind, sticking close to the latter and letting himself be stolen away from the world when he was in Jeongguk's arms. 

Even now Taehyung was curled up next to him on his wide bed, soft exhales landing on Jeongguk's outstretched arm. He felt Taehyung squirm and let out a murmur, before growing quiet again, gripping onto Jeongguk's arm tighter. 

Jeongguk felt warmth flood through his body when he saw his boyfriend cuddling into his side, one of his hands laying on his bare chest. He saw a small frown cross his sleeping features before it disappeared, making him look peaceful again. 

Jeongguk swept back Taehyung's bangs with his other hand, feeling his unusually cold skin against his fingertips. Taehyung frowned again, this time turning his back to Jeongguk, retracting his hand and curling them up to his chest. 

Jeongguk longed for the warmth, turning towards his back and pressing his chest against the other's lithe figure. 

Suddenly, he felt Taehyung's chest swell, falling quickly before his breathing sped up to twice its normal speed. 

Jeongguk laid his hand on Teahyung's waist, pulling him closer as he looked at his distressed boyfriend with wide eyes. 

Taehyung's eyes shot open and he raised himself up swiftly on his elbow, breathing profusely and looking around the room with teary eyes. 

Taehyung felt himself being pulled into a broad chest, as he cried softly into his lover's shoulder. 

"K-koo, i-it was th-at s-same d-dream..."

His boyfriend's tender voice floated from somewhere above him, calming his heart as his breathing slowed down. 

"I know, I know... You're alright, Taehyungie. You're in my arms..."

Taehyung sighed, feeling the overwhelming, choked feeling clearing from his head. He dug deeper into his boyfriend's warmth, letting his head fall into the Taehyung-shaped crevice in Jeongguk's neck. 

Gradually, Jeongguk felt Taehyung's snores against his skin. He relaxed his hold on the boy, letting his fingers caress his once-again sleeping lover's face. He pressed a solicitous kiss onto his forehead, his lips lingering on his skin a bit longer. 

Every night since he had come home, Taehyung had woken up to the same nightmare marring his senses, jolting him out of slumber and making him cry against Jeongguk's chest until he falls back asleep. 

His therapy was going well, Taehyung's face being brighter when he stepped out from when he first stepped in. The dark rims around his eyes were clearing and his natural glow was peeking out from his eyes again. 

Slowly... Slowly...

They would take it slow, letting the rest of the light fill into Taehyung's heart as it was before. Jeongguk would do all he could to bring his Taehyung back. He was strong. They were strong. 

But more than that, they were together. And at the end of the day, that's all that mattered. 

- - - - - 

i might do shorter chaps now that school's starting

but i wanna finish this book and start another

i have like four others waiting for me to work on

<33333

-cks