twenty eight.

Wind billowed around the pavement in front of Taehyung's apartment, making the auburn leaves dance in circles near Jeongguk's feet. He ran a hand through his hair, casting another look at the closed door, and sighed softly. The sun peeked out from above the building and brightened the side of his car.

"Gukkie?"

Jeongguk swirled around to meet the voice and smiled as he took his beautiful boyfriend in. Taehyung was wearing a red and white top, tucked into his black jeans, with a maroon beret seated on his fluffy hair. The older walked up to the latter and placed a soft kiss on his cheek, breaking him out of his trance. 

"What are you doing here so early, love?" 

Taehyung looked down at his watch. They were supposed to meet Taehyung's father at the park at 1 pm, and Jeongguk showed up with 45 minutes to spare. The younger smiled and pecked his lover's lips, holding him close.

"I wanted to spend a little time together first..." Taehyung smiled, and understanding dawned on his face. He giggled and pulled Jeongguk to his car, not wanting to let a single minute go to waste. 

- - -

The city flew past Taehyung's window as he looked out of the car. Excitement bubbled in his stomach and a soft smile graced his features as thoughts of seeing his father flowed in his mind. 

Finally. After 15 years. He was finally going to see his father's face again. Taehyung felt that fate was finally smiling at him, giving one gift after another. He just hoped he would be able to keep them all close. 

Beside him, Jeongguk's face was hardened with distress. He kept glancing nervously at Taehyung's phone, willing it to light up with a notification. Willing a text to pop up on his screen and say that his father couldn't come today. Something. Anything. 

Not that he didn't want Taehyung to be happy. He just couldn't ignore the anxiety in his bones, screaming at him to turn the car around and just spend the rest of the day with Taehyung. He heard a ding and his eyes flew to Taehyung's phone, only to find that his own phone had lit up. Namjoon's contact name crossed over his lock screen, telling him that his plane back to America had landed safely. 

Jeongguk smiled and immediately felt guilty. When Namjoon had shown up in Taehyung's apartment that night, Taehyung had been an angel. He even gave him space for both of them to talk, comfortably settling in with the others. Jeongguk frowned. How could he think like that? He had no right to judge Taehyung's father, no matter what he had heard about him. 

Jeongguk glanced over at Taehyung, seeing a dreamy smile on his face. Jeongguk gave a sad smile and moved his hand to the older's, lacing their fingers together. Taehyung looked to him happily, then smiling at their joined hands, covering Jeongguk's hand with his other one. 

Green shrubbery peeked out left of the road and Taehyung sat up a bit straighter, feeling his excitement flow over the top. 

The park was serene and a colorful plaza was a block away, voices of happy families filling the air. Even on a chilly day like this, the park was warm and alive. Jeongguk could see why it was Taehyung's mom's favorite. Jeongguk reached for Taehyung's hand and held on tight when he found it. He started looking around to see anyone that looked like Taehyung's father, but the hand around his was already pulling him towards a row of pretty cherry blossom trees. The crowds of people become more scattered until only a few lingered around. Taehyung had brought Jeongguk to a secluded corner of the park. A first-timer wouldn't have thought this place existed.