Chapter 12

* * *

.
It was the day when the banquet was held at the banquet hall in the center of the palace.

For Erin, the day of the palace event meant a day of hard work.

People liked the event, but Erin, who was in charge of the imperial palace's household, had no time to rest because she had been preparing for the event and checking this and that even before seven days ago.

I had a headache that morning because I couldn't take a break to prepare for the event.

At the end of the banquet, Erin went to the Imperial Palace garden to cool her head for a while.

It was when Erin was resting at the side of the lake, looking at the lake. Suddenly, there was a sound of publicity.

As I turned my head, Einz was coming this way.

Erin tried to wave her hand in joy, but she didn't have time to make a sound.

Because Einz, who was approaching Erin, whined and fell to the floor.

'Einz!'

.
Erin rushed to Einz.

Einz was out of his mind and in a cold sweat. Erin saw blood coming out of his body.

Erin pulled Einz's clothes and revealed his shoulder.

'This is......'

There was a deep cut on Einz's right shoulder that showed bone inside. The shape was like an ordinary cut, but it was not an ordinary wound.

.
The black blood vessels around the wounds were stretched around like tree roots. A little bit of black blood had seeped out from the crack.

Erin knew what it was. It was impossible not to know.

Poison of Demon.

(TN: are we in a magical world??)

It was poison by a wicked creature. If not treated, the whole body will be eaten and die.

'Einz....'

I knew sometimes he did not look well, but I thought he was just tired. I didn't know Einz was hiding this secret.

The wound smelled terrible.

.
A smell that was damp, dark, and cold that seemed to rise from the bottom of a basement. It was the smell of death.

The smell alone showed that it was really the poison of a monster.

If you're caught poisoned by the venom of a beast, you'll be isolated. You'll be taken to the temple.

(TN: some translators say beast, some say monster and the other say evil (spirit).
If this is a magical world with demons I would go with 'demon', if not I would go with 'beast'. 'Monster' can be used for both. It makes it a bit less confusing. But I get a lot of 'evil spirit' which makes me more inclined to say 'demon' instead of 'beast'.)

The infected are isolated. They are actually kept in captivity and burned to death.

The poison of the devil is not contagious. If you took the time and treated it steadily, you could have recovered.

Sometimes, however, after the death of an infected person, a new monster was created through the body.

In order to prevent it, the temple searched for any infected person, regardless of whether infected or not.
It was cruel, but that was the policy in the Empire.

I could fully understand why Einz was hiding this. Erin didn't want Einz to end up like that.

'If you're here, you'll be caught.'