Chapter 14

The Countess Flynn's house, where the ball was held, was lit up like daylight, even in the middle of the night.

Bright light leaked from every window of the mansion. Inside the mansion was bustling greeting countless of guests.

There was an endless row of carriages attending the ball in front of the main gate.
Serena, who got off the carriage, slowly went into the mansion.

The aristocrats who saw her hurriedly bent down to be polite.
"Welcome, Serena."

As soon as she walked in, the countess ran out gladly.

"It is an honor for my family to be present by lady Serena."

"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Flynn. His grace is busy with work today..."

Serena smiled graciously and asked for mercy for Raymond's absence.

Fortunately, the Countess did not think it's any strange that the Duke was not present, besides she was only trying to please Serena.

"Lady Serena come this way. Everyone was waiting for the lady."
The countess held Serena's hand tightly and led her into the guest room of the mansion. It was a place to hold precious guests until the ball started.

As soon as Serena sat down, the ladies gathered around her.

"Serena, you're so beautiful today.The praise of being the best beauty in the empire is not a waste."

"You flatter me."
Serena smiled and won the flattery of the ladies.
Then suddenly the lady who was around looked around the main gate and said,

"Oh, my God, Your Highness is here."

The gathered women turned their heads in unison at the words of the lady.

At the main gate of the banquet hall, where their eyes reached was a handsome man with black hair, neatly dressed in plain robes. It was Calix.

Serena's eyes panicked.

Calix hated Serena for a long time.

Serena wanted to get along with him. Even though he is not Raymond's real brother, she wanted to be liked because he was the only younger brother of Raymond.
But from the first meeting, Calix hated Serena.

Grand Duke has always been like that since he was about 15. She spoke to the young Duke a few times, but each time, Calix did not answer and ignored her like an invisible man.

She knew it's to taunt or insult her, but from Serena's point of view, it's a big deal.
It felt worse than swearing. Serena laughed and got up from her seat.

She didn't want to show that she was being ignored by Calix in front of so many noblemen.

"Then I have to see my father. Excuse me for a moment."

Serena suddenly left, but the assembled nobles did not wonder about the circumstances.

The ladies' eyes were fixed on the Grand Duke, Calix.
Grand Duke Calix Royten, was a famous figure in the capital for many things.

Once he was part of the royal family, he became the third most powerful man in the empire, the second richest man in the country, and he was also a very handsome man.

"It's been a long time since you've been here."

Someone murmured as if whispering. At the same time, the Grand Duke turned his head over.
I could see deep blue eyes like sapphire. Grand Duke, Calix glanced at the women gathered in one corner and looked away again.
It was only a moment, but the ladies, who caught the eye, were all quick-witted.
The ladies gathered on one side covered their mouths with fans and began to shout in unison.