Future Chapter 26: Auf Wiedersehen Liebe

As the season went on, Jonas was getting more comfortable with the team and with his English. On road trips, his room assignment usually was with Gurianov. Guri had been on the team since his rookie season and he was able to prove himself in that year's playoffs. Having been in Jonas' place himself before, he was the natural choice when it came to a mentor among his teammates.

This gave Benn the chance to have a room to himself again. As he settled into his room, Benn opened his luggage expecting to see among his clothing and toiletries, Dhani's usual offer of one of her favorite stuffed animals. When she got to an age that she understood where Daddy went for days at a time and what the bags were for, she began placing one of her small stuffed animals in his bag at the last minute. Usually it was Lamby, sometimes it was Petty Peg but Benn was shocked to see that no animal was left in his bag. He shrugged it off assuming she simply forgot this time around until he got a knock on his door.

He opened it to see Jonas holding Toots the pink Elephant. "I think this is Dhani's," he said through his thick German accent.

"Yeah, sorry. I'll take it." Benn took it from the confused kid, wondering why she went with Toots. This one was by far her favorite and was almost never parted from it. Benn didn't want to admit it, but he was a little hurt that Jonas got Toots and he didn't get anything.

He called Ana once he finished getting ready to sleep. "Hey liebling."

"Gummibarchen! How's Edmonton so far?"

"Cold. Look what Jonas found in his bag." Benn lifted the elephant to his face so Ana could see.

"Wow, Jonas must be doing something right. That little girl is in love. What did you find in yours?"

"Oh, um, nothing." He tried to reply nonchalantly.

Ana could see right through that cool exterior. "Aw gummibarchen! Nothing? I'm sure she still loves you. She's just got love in her heart for that little German boy."

"Yeah, it's fine. It's harmless."

Ana and Benn spoke for a few minutes before Asher and Dhani barged in. "Daddy!!"

"Hey kiddos!"

"Daddy, where's Jonas?" Dhani immediately asked.

"Oh I'm doing fine Dhani, thanks for asking." Asher laughed at their dad's response to Dhani.

"Daddy!" Asher started. "Mommy said that you're in Canada and she showed us on the map where you are! It's so far!"

"Oh yeah, buddy, it's pretty cold up here. Wish you were with me!" Before long, both kids lost interest in the conversation and went to their room. "Are you doing okay with the two of them so far?"

"Oh yeah. They've got school tomorrow so I'll have a chance to catch up on some of these interviews for the season and work on ideas and plans for media day."

"Wow...I can't believe it's already around the corner."

"I know. What do you think Dhani is gonna do when Jonas goes back home?"

"I imagine a total meltdown followed by angst on the level of a soap opera."

"Awesome. Can't wait." Ana and Benn said their goodbyes and made promises to speak the next day.

—-

—-

When you arrived home, Benn was halfway through dinner and Dhani was entertaining Jonas with her books while Asher was running around the house with his Rangers helmet and bat.