Chapter 1: Side Character

Scrolling through social media was part of Jun's routine while waiting for the bus together with a number of people at the bus stop. Although it was a weekday morning, the road was surprisingly empty. Usually at this time, cars and buses would be so tightly packed on the road it was a miracle that no accidents happened. 

Ever since a pandemic took over the globe, many steps were taken to ensure the virus do not spread--working from home was included in those steps. However, it was of no concern to Jun. She was still working on her final year project and had to rely on school facilities to complete the project. 

Jun scrolled through the social media mindlessly when a title caught her attention.

SAINTESS OF LOVE SECRET ROUTE POSTPONED DUE TO PANDEMIC!

"Really? Again......?" Jun sighed. First, delayed because of technical issues, then copyright issues. This would be the third time it has been postponed. She had been looking forward to it too as she happened to be a fan of the game. 

She remembered watching a short trailer of the secret route. Although they only released a voiced section and showed a silhouette of the new capture target, it was enough to get her invested. She herself was surprised too since she does not take interest in things easily. 

She exited the social media and looked at the time. 

She's late again.

Just as she was thinking about it, she heard quick footsteps coming nearer to her. Before she could raise her head, she heard a familiar voice calling out to her. 

Before her, a young lady with slightly flushed cheeks and messy hair was panting as if she had just ran her way here. Maybe she did? 

The girl pulled down her mask to get a quick breath and pulled it back up again. Jun pointed to her own hair, and the other girl quickly understood and combed her hair too, looking a little embarrassed.

The girl is Emilia. She is a year younger than Jun. Her interests are reading shoujo mangas and playing otome games. 

"So, why are you late today?" Jun asked with a teasing tone. 

"I marathoned this shoujo manga in one night!" Emilia exclaimed. She cupped her face in her hands as if reliving the wonderful reading experience.

"Please don't say it so proudly and go to bed earlier." Well, it's not like I'm in the place to say that too.

"You don't understand! The male lead was so cool! When the first time they met--" Emilia started to ramble about the manga. 

Jun was paying half attention to her story when she heard whispers from behind her. There were a couple of guys standing behind them talking to each other about something. 

"Hey, you saw that girl right? She's super cute!" One of the guys said while barely whispering. 

"Yeah! You reckon I could get her number?" The other one replied in a similar volume. 

Jun had then stopped listening and pulled her attention back to the girl rambling beside her.

It has always been like that ever since they knew each other. She had a pretty smile that could charm almost anyone and a warm heart that accepted almost anyone. People were naturally attracted to her and surround her. 

Emilia is smart, pretty and kind. 

She is a main character. 

"Jun, Jun~~~. Are you listening?" Emilia pouted. Her round cheeks were obvious even through the mask. 

"Nah, I nodded off." Jun teased her more, "Anyways, it seems 'Love Saintess' is being postponed again."

"EEH?! NO WAY!" Emilia seemed extremely shocked by the news. Jun hand over her phone with the article on display. The more she read, the sadder she became. She returned Jun's phone and hid her face into her palms. "No......My holiday's ruined......"

"Bus is here." Jun paid no attention to her sulking. Emilia had been keeping the game untouched because she wanted to experience the game with the secret route. But Jun knew Emilia still had tons of otome games she could play. 

Just as the girls were about to leave their seats, Emilia looked slightly dazed at the direction of the bus. Jun followed her gaze and noticed something was wrong.

"It doesn't seem to be slowing down--"

Before Emilia could finish, someone had pulled her to the side.

After that was a nothing but chaos. 

***

Jun's P.O.V

The first thing I thought I needed to do was pull Emilia away. And I did. 

After that collide and a series of crashes, I felt immense pain from every corner of my body and warm fluid pouring out from my body. I could not open my eyes, move my limbs or even shout out in pain. Amongst the chaos, I could barely pick up Emilia's pained voice yelling my name.

My consciousness is slowly fading. I thought I would be sadder knowing I will die in the next moments yet I felt calmer than I ever did. It felt like I had accomplished something after saving Emilia. 

After all, I am but a side character.