Chapter 7: Decline

One problem that kept pestering me was why is the duke grown up? In 'Love Saintess', all the male leads were around the same age as the main character and the Holy Maiden, including Duke Wolfram. It makes no sense that I'm still a child while he's already grown up.

There's only one answer. This man is duke Wolfram's father, or rather, an adult from the Wolfram family.

But before I could think much further, I hear the sound of a carriage and horses stopping at the entrance. The chatter in the room quiet down but I could feel everyone's excitement. Father opened the door and stood in between the two lines of children.

The one that walked at the front was the knight that almost killed me, followed by the duke and Alfred by his side. Alfred walked to the front to greet the Father.

"Welcome to our humble residence. May Her Light shine upon and protect you."

"First, we have prepared tea to let the guest rest up from such a long journey. Then, we would be delighted to give you a tour of our humble abode." Father bowed and helded out his hand to point the way.

"Mr. Duke!" Blanche called out to him and ran towards him.

No! Blanche, the knight there......! I reached out my hand and tried to grab her but only caught a fistful of air. From the corner of my sight, I swear to Her Holiness that knight had his hands on the hilt and was ready to draw.

She's gonna be killed!

Blanche ran to the duke's side and basically attached herself to the duke's leg like a koala hugging a tree. Soon after, a few younger kids started following her and surrounded the duke. I looked over to the knight with caution and even though he still had his hand rested on the hilt, his posture was not as alert. When I was sure he wouldn't attack, I let out a sigh of relief but slowly was filled again with bitterness.

This is so unfair! I almost died standing half a metre away from the duke but these kids are allowed to just stick their snotty noses onto his pants?!

I silently pout at the corner while still reminding myself I have to lay low and not catch any attention. When I look up, my eyes accidentally met the duke's and I quickly averted my eyes. It took me half a second to regret the action.

Stupid! Don't look away! Now he's gonna think you're rude! Be an adult! Smile and everything is gonna be fine!

......Do I really need to smile to the guy that almost cost me my life?

Before I could drown further into my nonsensical thoughts, I heard footsteps coming towards me. I raised my head and see the duke approaching me.

Pardon me, what? Who's approaching who? The duke?? To me?!

My plan to maintain a low profile shattered to pieces as I watch this man moving closer and closer to me. He then stopped at his tracks and realized we were standing as far as the first time we met. I hung my head low, reluctant to meet his eyes. Cold sweat started to appear on my back, just like last time.

"Alfred." He called the older man standing behind him. His voice smooth as ever.

Sometimes I wonder if the older man can read minds, because he would be doing things like it was an order even though no one gave him instructions. The older man stepped forward and presented a pocket-sized glass bottle decorated with golden frames. The glass bottle held some kind of red liquid.

Is that blood......?

"This is a healing potion, miss." Alfred could sense my uneasiness and he decided to clear up the misunderstanding. "My lord was concerned about the wound Sir Elliot has inflicted on you and thus, he ordered the finest grade of healing potion for you. Your wound should heal up in a few seconds. Please accept this gift as an apology."

I don't understand a lot of the words he was using but basically, I think he's trying to give me this thing as an apology?

I stared at the bottle in silence. I actually didn't mind if they didn't apologize. At the end of the day, I was still hurt, blood still came out from the wound, but I was well and alive. It did felt just a tiny bit unpleasant that they think they could just offer a bottle of potion after they threatened to rob me of my newfound life.

I took a deep breath and manage to crack a smile on my tense face.

"No, thank you. I do not want it." I did my best to word the sentence as simple and polite as I could. I don't know if rejecting a gift from a duke is considered rude or not, but I didn't feel like accepting it. I didn't dare to look at the duke's expression right now so I kept my eyes on Alfred.

The older man was clearly surprised but only for a moment. He quickly kept the potion away and asked, "Very well. Then what does the miss desire?"

I thought for a while and I've decided on the simplest form of apology. I raised hand and pointed to the knight, making sure my eyes were locked onto his.

"Can he say sorry to me?"