Chapter 16: You Took Him Away

I crouched at the corner in Corwin's little garden as I admire the details of the embroidery on the gloves. Corwin's little garden has become a safe haven for me to stop thinking. Corwin on the other hand was peacefully watering the plants.

Should I take this as a sign that the duke has taken a liking on me, just as Cain said? I don't have anything to gain from it, except maybe receive more gifts? Why does it sound like I'm just using him to get stuff?

If, in one in a million chances, he really came to like me and decided to adopt me, would I be able to say no? If he adopted me, that means I'll be meeting the real Duke Wolfram.

Lucaon Wolfram, one of the male leads of 'Love Saintess'. He has jet black hair and piercing green eyes, just like the current duke. The difference is he always wears an unreadable smile. He's calculative and can be a bit sadistic at times. Though he can be sweet in the game, he's a completely different person against anyone who is not the main character. He can be merciless with people he's not interested in. In summary, he's the yandere character.

He's the last person I wanted to meet among all the male leads.

If I remember correctly, the duke only took her in after learning of her magic powers. During her stay at the residence, she had only met Lucaon briefly who came back from studies. After conducting an investigation over her, she was later sent to the pope by the duke to be educated into the holy maiden.

So, if I get adopted, there's a high chance I'm going to become the Holy Maiden. Whatever I do, I have to prevent that from happening. I still haven't forgotten the promise I made to myself, which is to live in peace!

Hmm, should I try to behave more reckless to put off the duke's interest? I can't. I might earn myself an execution if I'm not careful. Urgh, how do you lose someone's interest?

"Blanche......" As I was lost in thought, I heard Corwin called out her name. I turned and saw the petite figure standing at a distance with her hand curled into a small fist.

First, she glared at me. Tears started to well up and she stomped her way towards me.

"Blanche is the first one to like the duke! Don't take the duke away from Blanche! Give him back!" She pushed me harshly and I had to held myself against the wall to prevent from falling.

This little brat......

I never had much interest nor patience with children.

"Stop, Blanche!" Corwin ran to my side to help me up.

I stood up straight and tidied my hair that got messy. I tried my best to keep my face calm and said, "I did not take the duke away from you."

"The duke is not yours. He is not mine too." I worded it the best I could to a child. "The duke is not a toy. He cannot be yours or mine."

"He's mine! Mine! You took him away from Blanche!" She started to cry. As I thought, a child is too young to understand this. "If only you disappeared! The duke will be mine again!"

After that, I just left her crying, not caring if she heard what I said or not. My back kinda hurts now from that push. Can't forget I'm still a child.

"My, my, so is that the little thief that stole your gloves?" I heard a voice from above.

"Sir Cain!" I turned around and saw Cain, but he seemed to have a bump on his head. Seems like he got hit by Elliot again.

"You're awfully nice to her. You don't seem to be mad either." He noticed my lack of anger towards this thieving situation. "If it were me, I would've slapped her a couple of times until she apologizes."

"Hitting people is bad." I pointed out. I truly believe that violence is not an answer. Ironic, however, that I said this to him when his job is literally fighting people.

"Oops, sorry! You're right! Fighting is bad!" He laughed and ruffled my hair.

"Cain!" He heard his name being called and jolted straight up and saluted. Behind him was Elliot, the duke and butler. "We're leaving. Prepare the carriage."

"Yes, sir!" Cain replied with a loud voice and gave me a look before leaving. I waved sadly. Cain was always a place of comfort for me too. I looked back and saw the duke that seemed a little unhappy.

W-what now? I'm wearing the gloves properly, just like you told me to.

He held out his hand to me. I thought he wanted the gloves back so I started taking them off when he stopped me, "What are you doing?"

"Giving the gloves back?" I answered back confusingly.

"I told you they're yours. Put them back on." He commanded. He still had his hand held out. I'm more confused because I don't have anything on me to give him.

"Your hand, miss." Alfred coughed and smiled.

I replied 'oh' with realization and reached out to his hand. He covered mine with his big hands tightly.

He just wanted to hold hands. That's......oddly sweet. I secretly squeezed his hand back.

If we could keep this up, I think being adopted by him won't be all that bad after all......