Chapter 5: Encounter

Sister is taking a while just to retrieve a book. Maybe the store owner busy is dealing with another customer. That said, just how important this customer is to put a halt in the entire store?

As I was lost in thought, the door swung open and shocked me, causing me to lose balance and dropped a bag of groceries. The contents were scattered all over. Corwin quickly put down his bag to help me pick them up.

One of them rolled off quite far so I told Corwin I was going to leave just a bit. I found it at the roadside just in front of the bookstore and as I was about to pick it up, I felt something cold and sharp pressed on my throat. I froze.

Cold sweat started to appear on my forehead and back. I knew, if the user of the sword merely pulled it back my head would be on the floor. Since it's still attached to my neck, it means I still given a chance at survival.

Why didn't I notice the sword before? I didn't even see it or heard it being drawn!

I looked up to face the man pointing the blade at me fearfully. He had tanned skin and blonde hair. He wore a sturdy looking armor with a crest on the chestplate which looked like wolves. The man's eyes were cold and merciless. They were the eyes of a man that would not hesitate to slaughter people.

I could hear my heartbeat beating loudly and my breath shortens. My head is spinning. I clutch my fist tightly to remain sane.

The man did not remove the blade resting on my neck nor did he looked away from me, as if he was waiting for a signal.

"Lower your weapon, Elliot." A voice came from behind the man. It sounded smooth and elegant. This man must be some sort of leader to him.

"Yes, sir." The man named Elliot removed his sword so quickly I couldn't catch it with my eyes. He stood aside to make way for the

The first thing that came to my mind when seeing the man for the first time was dark. The man had sleak, black hair, wore black robes and a black cane. Everything was black except for his eyes. His eyes were yellow and were oddly hypnotizing that I could not look away. His gazes, so sharp I felt like the sword that was gone was once again pressed onto my neck. It was frightening but at the same time, so mesmerizing to look away.

The man seemed to be uninterested in me and looked away after a glance.

......He definitely thinks of himself as the 'holier-than-thou' type.

"Alfred." He called to another person standing beside him.

The man who looked twice as old, came forward and bowed gracefully. He picked up the orange that was at the corner of the man and carefully wrapped it with a clean and white handkerchief.

"I believe this belongs to you, miss." I hesitantly reached my hand out to take it, afraid that if I do, my hands would tear off from my body.

I quickly snatched it from his hands. The sensation of the orange's rough skin against my palm reassured me more than anything that I was safe.

"T-Thank you." I bowed without meeting his gaze.

"Ria, there you are!" I heard Sister Jeanne's voice and without thinking, I rushed to her side and hid behind her. Corwin was behind her too and he looked worried. She turned to look at the men and was surprised by their appearance.

"It seems we meet again, Sir Alfred, Duke Wolfram." Sister Jeanne gave her greetings respectfully. She seemed to know them. Then, she turned to us. "I see you met the new child. Her name is Astria."

Duke Wolfram......? The name sounds familiar......

I was reluctant to step out from behind her. I didn't want to be under their gazes again. Corwin remained silent as he bowed (more like a nod). Jeanne looked a bit troubled.

"Come now, Astria. It is impolite to not greet a person." Sister Jeanne tried to push me out from behind her. I think I deserve the right to be a little stubborn since I was in a life-or-death situation just now. Jeanne knew I was determined to stay hidden so she gave up persuading me and turned to apologize to the men, "I deeply apologize. This child is very shy."

"The fault is ours. We seemed to have frightened her." The lord that Jeanne addressed as Duke Wolfram finally turned to talk to us.

"Anyways, if the duke were the have some time to spare, how about paying the Butterfly Orphanage a visit? It has been a while since my lord visited! We have a few fresh new faces. I think the children will be excited to see you." Jeanne extended an invitation to them.

Wait, stop, no. Let them leave!

"Then, we shall take upon the gracious offer. We will notice you 2 days earlier before our visit." Alfred answered politely.

Don't accept the invitation!

"Well then......" Again, that chilling sensation. I peeked out from behind Jeanne and accidentally met my eyes with the duke, "We shall meet again soon."

We watch them getting into a spacious carriage pulled by 2 horses. As the carriage slowly disappeared from my sight, I let out a big sigh of relief, thankful that no blood was spilt......or so I thought.

"Ria, your neck......!" Corwin exclaimed in horror.

Upon hearing his trembling voice, I felt something warm wet trickling down my neck. I reached up to touch my neck and saw red liquid smeared on my finger tips. The scent of rusted iron filled my nose and a small section if the collar was stained red. I use the handkerchief that wrapped around the orange to press on the wound.

Clearly, if the man named Elliot wishes so, he could have taken my life without me even knowing.