1. Normality

"What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family." - Mother Teresa.

The Fighter

"Thank you so much for coming, it's really been a pleasure." I bowed my head and smiled, shaking the hand of another official who I wouldn't remember the name of later.

"Really, Chief Hotchner-Reid, what a wonderful conference. So informative." Another middle-aged white-man complimented me, shaking my hand and smiling eagerly.

"Excellent, thank you. Take care, now." I waved the last of them out of the conference room and turned to Annie with an exasperated smile, puffing the hair out of my face.

"You did good, Chief." She smiled, approaching me to pat me on the back.

"If you mean good in a 'you didn't cut their balls off', then thank you, I was tempted." She spluttered and laughed, shaking her head.

"We may be friends, Melanie, but you know within work, I'm still your boss," I gave her a pointed look and she laughed. "Yeah you're right, I would've had their balls in a vice too. Anyway, see you tomorrow." She laughed and waved as she left the conference room and I sighed, following suit.

"Hey!" Spencer's voice made me start as I locked the conference room door behind me.

"Hey." I grinned happily, approaching him to kiss his cheek.

"Director Liu and the board?" He asked in surprise as we made our way back along the corridor. "You didn't mention you had a board meeting."

"That's because I didn't," I smiled patiently and tapped the edge of my nose. "You know how these things work, love, some things I can share, some things I can't." I shrugged and he nodded, rolling his eyes with a smile.

"Good workday?" He asked as we stopped outside my office.

"The politics of the office will never cease to amaze me," I gathered my things and locked up. "It's nice for us both to be finishing at a normal hour for once." I laced our fingers together and he nodded as we walked towards the elevators.

"It makes it even better when it's family night." He grinned, reaching out to wrap his arms around my waist and pull me closer to him.

"I'm sure Beth will be thrilled." 

Spencer smirked and leaned down, pressing a deep kiss to my lips.

"That part of family night isn't what I was referring to..." He whispered against my lips and my heart did a little flutter.

The elevator ding-ed as it arrived and the doors opened, interrupting our moment and reminding me that for the time being, I was still Chief Hotchner-Reid.

*

The music coming from the dining room was at a good enough volume to be background music for Spencer and I as we danced about the kitchen preparing dinner.

"It's not the same without her here." I whined and Spencer laughed, pressing a kiss to my neck as he stretched above me to reach the wine glasses in the cabinet.

"You'd think that spending time together just you and I was considered criminal these days." He joked and I scowled.

"Tell me you're not missing her?" I rhetorically asked whilst mixing the salad.

"Don't be so ridiculous," He laughed. "I'm missing her like I'm missing a limb!" We both laughed but were interrupted with the doorbell ringing.

We both shared a simultaneously excited expression before racing each other along the hallway to the front door. He elbowed me out of the way and I yanked the door open, Beth and my dad standing in the doorway grinning.