22. Break

"After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." ― L.M. Montgomery.

The Comforter

"Nothing!" Melanie groaned, dragging her nails through her hair. "There's absolutely nothing here to suggest Caitlyn is anywhere near the Sanitarium. Why send us there?" She groaned, peering up at Spencer as he paced back and forth in front of the windows of the conference room.

"I think you should take a break," I suggested, leaning back in my chair, chewing on my lip. "When was the last time you guys actually slept?" I asked.

They'd visited the morgue to observe the bodies of the three patients that had passed away within the last week at the Sanitarium. They'd interviewed their families and had dug into every aspect of their lives.

There was nothing  to suggest Caitlyn was involved with any of them.

"We can't go home. Not until this is fixed." Melanie said gruffly, running her hands over her face.

"Don't be ridiculous, Mel, this is going to take weeks to solve," I said. "You should go home, shower and sleep. See Tilly, recharge your batteries. This will all be here when you're back."

She and Spencer shared curious expressions, before they were interrupted by our dad entering the room.

"I have the team working on cases at the moment. They're writing up profiles for cases we can't physically attend at the moment, and I'm liaising via video-link with those that require our presence. They understand our attention is needed here more than anywhere else at the moment." Dad explained, looking pale and exhausted.

"You too!" I gushed. "When was the last time you slept properly?" I asked and our dad looked at me with surprised eyes.

"Never mind that, Jack," He said seriously. "There's work to be done."

"And the work will still be here once you've all rested." I insisted.

"He's right," Spencer said quietly, and Melanie spun around in her chair to glare at him, our dad doing the same.

"We're no use to anybody in this state, Mel," He sighed. "We should go home and rest, get Jason's men and Emily to do the same. We'll regroup tomorrow once we're refreshed."

"But Spencer," Melanie said, getting to her feet as he made a move for the door. "We can't just go home and act as though none of this is happening. It's only a matter of time before the Cell or the CIA get in touch!"

"Which is why I'm sending our best men to your house to guard it," The Director announced, entering the room wearing a fancy skirt suit and heels.

"Sorry for eavesdropping," She said with a giddy smile. "I was just making my way over to debrief you on the meeting with the heads of the Bureau," She said, nodding at Melanie who gasped as she remembered.

"We're in agreement that you require the highest of protection," She explained, folding her arms. "They believe you're our most valuable asset at destroying the Cell, and with the election well and truly underway, they understand that the CIA will be desperate to get to you."

Spencer, my dad and I all watched Melanie in a panic. Maybe staying here was the best thing for her, after all.

"I'll take Jason and Emily home with us too," Melanie said after a pause. "Emily needs protection, too. She evaded the CIA and the Cell to come back to us."