14. Bunker

"But instead of feeling safe and secure behind their armed walls, they found themselves trapped in the prison they had built with their own fears." - Katie J. Davis.

The Protector

"I might've known this place had a bunker." Aaron said from the doorway of the bedroom, shaking his head in awe.

"You seriously expected this?" Jack laughed, pointing down into the bunker.

"I'm not surprised. It's what I'd do if I had a safe house." Aaron shrugged.

"Would you mind keeping an eye on Tilly please?" Melanie asked and her dad nodded.

"You're going down there?" Jack gasped, watching as Melanie started climbing down the stairs.

We shared a look and I chuckled at Jack's surprise as I hit the steps behind Melanie.

"What the Hell you guys!" Jack hissed, coming down after us.

It appeared we were in a very slim and narrow stairwell, with dimensions that resembled a cupboard, as the stairs spiralled down further and further. Of course, we had to go down the first flight to hit the ground floor, and then a second flight to reach the bunker which was beneath ground level outside.

Melanie hit the ground first, and a moment later, a light flickered on.

We seemed to be in a basement room which spanned the same size as the master suite upstairs. Inside here, was exercise equipment, dumbbells and a punch-bag, and units running along the full length of the right-hand wall, some with shelves housing cases of different weapons and ammunition. There were bulletproof vests and weighted clothing hanging up in one of the far cabinets.

"There's enough here to make the academy jealous..." I mused aloud as Jack came down from the stairs behind me, gasping in awe as his eyes took in the sight around us.

"You like?" Melanie said proudly, if a little breathless as she stood in the centre of the room.

There was a huge mirror on the left wall, in front of a treadmill.

"Melanie this is insane." Jack said in awe.

"This is clever. Very clever." I nodded in admiration.

"You've not even seen the best of it," She grinned, a twinkle in her eye. "On one of those shelves," She said, pointing over to one of the cabinets with shelves lined with tubs of ammunition and weapons.

"There's a false panel at the back. You crack it down, and there's a lock. Unlock it, and the whole cabinet slots out and opens to the secret, secret bunker."

Jack and I shared equally perplexed expressions before Jack burst into laughter.

"I'm sorry, are we in some kind of James Bond movie?" He laughed, walking over to the unit and peering at the ammunition.

"Yes," Melanie said, nodding firmly. Jack spun around and the pair of us frowned at Melanie just as Aaron's footsteps could be heard at the very top of the staircase.

"It's a long story..." She said quietly. "But, this is an old CIA base. I bought it relatively cheap in the auctions," She explained as Aaron reached the basement and stood perplexed by my side.

"I used an alias and cash so the sale isn't traced. As far as the CIA care, it's another problem they don't want involvement in. There's underground tunneling that leads out into the forest, and behind the shelving unit, there's sleeping quarters and cooking facilities for long-term deployments. This bunker was built for war, and when that didn't arrive, the CIA dressed it up and sold it."