26. Spooks

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan

The Fighter

It took us over three hours to lose all tails and media following. We were bombarded at Quantico, and several hits were attempted once we'd shook the press.

I was desperate for safety and security but I knew that we weren't going to achieve anything by sitting on our hands and keeping our mouths shut.

I'd put myself out there, albeit willingly, and now all we had to do was wait.

I knew it was a risk, I knew that the FBI, CIA and Interpol would be reeling after my efforts. But, it was all in the faith that I had to protect my family.

The Deacon's were safe elsewhere for now, Jack was with Naomi, and the rest of us were locked up in the safe-house.

"How do you even know if this is going to work, Mel?" Beth asked quietly as I peered out of the curtains, chewing on my lip.

I'd changed out of the itchy suit and back into leggings and a polo-neck, feeling far safer in motorbike gear than a uniform that reminded me too much of my old FBI life.

"I don't," I sighed, turning to face her with a small smile, the entire room peering at me curiously. "I don't even know what to expect." I shrugged.

"It won't be long before they suss you're connected to me." Darren said worriedly and I sighed, nodding.

"I know that, but I can handle that. I put you away, I reserve the right to bring you back out again."

"It doesn't work like that, Mel, and we both know it." He smiled sadly and I mirrored it, nodding as I dipped my head.

"But really, what's the end-game, here?" Morgan asked. "We're all away from our families, have been for days. We don't know if we're going to live or die, who we're fighting or what we're fighting for. Where does it end, Mel?"

His tone was clipped, sad, angry.

"I understand," I nodded tearfully. "I know that what I'm asking is far bigger than all of us put together," I looked over at Spencer who was standing in the doorway, watching me with heavy eyes. "You should all go home," I said finally, looking back at Morgan.

It felt like the entire room drew a breath.

"This is far too dangerous," I continued. "Go, be with your families and forget I came back at all-"

"That's not what I'm sayin'-"

"I know," I cut Morgan off just as he cut me off.

"But that is the only way for any of us to move on, is to act like none of this is really happening," I set my coffee cup down on the table and addressed the room. "Go home," I said to my old team. "You all have families and relationships, now. You need to protect them, they are your priority. You have brought me this far, for which I am eternally grateful. But it's too dangerous now."

"So you're just going to take them all on single-handedly?" Black choked.

"I have Jason and Darren and their incredible men. But, I'm beginning to think this is even too risky for them." I looked sheepishly towards the Jones' brothers who were staring at me incredulously.

"You're not sending us packing after we've come this far." Jason grunted.

"Not a hope in Hell, Mel."

"So we're tossed aside whilst the thugs take over? No fair, man." Carter kissed her teeth and the Jones' brothers shot her a glare.

"That's unfair, Tania," I frowned. "You have your wife to think about. Morgan has his wife and kids, Garcia has Becky, Black has his family, and so does Jackson. Stop playing the martyr and go home."