28. Cause

"You can't fight hatred with hatred and expect anyone to listen to you. You can only try to lessen it with humor, wit, truth and commonsense. If that doesn't work, run like hell..." ― Shannon L. Alder

The Fighter

I was relieved to have Jack back with us. Disappointed and saddened about Daisy and Ben, and feeling guilty at having to drag Jack back into the chaos, but feeling calmer and more secure with him near us.

He spent some time with Tilly and we all had food, de-stressing and filling him in on our 'new cold-leads' as Tilly called them. (What she really meant was 'colleagues'.)

Jack was still confused as to why MI5 was here, and to be honest, I felt the same.

I wasn't entirely trusting of them, and I didn't know where I stood now that the official channels were involved.

"All I'm saying is that we had a good thing going before the goon squad showed up." Darren mumbled to me in the hallway, peering along towards the kitchen where the agents were with the rest of the 'awake team'.

Beth had just left with Tilly for another safe-house, Tilly fast asleep in the back-seat of her car, Beth emotional at having to leave us all. Jack was currently in the shower after a huge argument with me and our dad, him absolutely refusing to go with Beth.

"I know that, but what can we do? They're here now. What would you suggest?" I whispered back, rubbing the back of my neck.

"We could just do away with them and go back to how things used to be." He said eagerly.

"Do away with them?" I repeated, freezing as I looked at him in shock. "You can't be serious?" He nodded eagerly and I shook my head. "You're bloody dense."

"She's not wrong," Jason said, stepping out of the living room to bat his brother over the back of the head. "We're not offing British agents you fool. We're already wanted enough by them."

"You are," Darren hissed, scowling at Jason as he rubbed his head. "Leave me out of it."

Jason and I looked at each other, shook our heads and walked off, leaving Darren alone with his thoughts.

"So how's planning going?" Adam asked as we entered the kitchen.

Spencer passed me a cup of tea and I frowned at Adam in confusion, wrapping my arm around Spencer lovingly.

"Planning to off us?" Adam guessed, looking Darren dead in the eye.

I choked on my tea and Jason sniggered whilst Darren looked completely and utterly shocked.

We all shared laughter at Darren's expense.

"You mentioned the head of your department was coming over?" Spencer asked Adam and Fiona.

"That's right," Fiona nodded. "They should be here by the morning."

"The rest of our team are joining us, we should be expecting all four of them."

"Four more folks?" Darren whistled.

"Where will they all sleep?" Jack asked, coming into the kitchen wearing clean clothes whilst rubbing his hair with a towel.

"We'll make the female bunk in with you, kid." Darren said, elbowing Jack in the side gently.

"I'm sure Daisy would love that." Jack mumbled, walking behind the kitchen counter.

"About that..." I said, turning to Darren with an innocent expression.

"Oh what now?" He groaned, folding his arms.