15. Home

"For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home." ― Stephanie Perkins

The Protector

I watched Mel in awe as she put her gun away and walked towards the bald man approaching us.

There were four black SUV's, packed full of men from what I could see, all of them poised and waiting.

Aaron came to my side.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"It's Jason." I said apprehensively as Mel spread her arms and the pair hugged tightly.

"They're friendly." Jack appraised from behind me.

I cast him a displeased look and put my gun away, hurrying after Mel.

By the time I got to them, they were laughing.

"Next time you want to make an entrance, maybe lose the army of heavyweights..." I commented as I approached them.

"Sorry pal, I wasn't sure what I was going to find." Jason said in a hearty English accent, far rougher and more pronounced than Mel's.

"Spencer, this is Jason, Jason, this is my husband, Spencer,"

Jason extended a hand and I shrunk back.

"You don't shake Spencer's hand." Mel said simply, not even flinching with embarrassment or awkwardness.

"You saved Mel?" I said matter-of-factly.

"I'm pretty sure she saved herself," Jason said, glancing at my wife with a smirk. "But I made sure she got here safely, yes." He nodded.

I nodded too before taking us all by surprise. I stepped forward and pulled Jason into a hug, slapping his back.

"I'm thankful you saved her, but keep your fucking hands off her." I said in his ear as we hugged, my head towering high above him.

He chuckled without humour and slapped my back in return.

"I wouldn't dream of doing anything else, mate."

The Fighter

I was relieved to see Jason and his men alive and well, even if it was rather peculiar and nerve-wracking, having them all in the front yard of the safe-house.

"Should we head inside and acquaint ourselves?" I asked excitedly, peering up at Jason and Spencer as they pulled apart from their friendly hug.

"I want to know how the hell you found me." I explained as Jason paused, unsure.

"Sure thing." He turned and beckoned his guys forward as Spencer and I started heading back towards our family.

"What's going on?" My dad asked, jerking his chin in the direction of the Brits as he returned his gun to his belt.

"We're heading inside to introduce ourselves before we leave." Spencer said gruffly, reaching inside the back of the car to get Matilda.

"How did they find you?" Beth asked worriedly as we headed back inside.

"That's exactly what I want to find out."

My family gathered in the kitchen, and Spencer kept Tilly protectively in his arms, his face a gorgeous mask of chiseled mystery, his mouth and stubbled jaw set, his large hands bracing Tilly's back, his eyes narrowed and focused on the men pouring inside the house.

I observed him for a moment, my tall and strong husband, knowing how terrified and yet simultaneously braced for action he currently was.

His long curly hair was pulled back from his face in a low bun, which Tilly was currently playing with as the men poured inside and stood awkwardly in the living area.