35. Darren

"When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching -- they are your family." ― Jim Butcher

The Fighter

I guess I probably should've been anxious about being back in England again, but instead, I was excited to see Darren and Jason's parents again and thank them for everything they'd done for me.

I was apprehensive as to how they were going to receive Jason, and how they were going to take the news of everything that had happened.

They knew Darren was dead, they just didn't quite know how.

So, whilst Beth and my dad went sight-seeing with Jack and Tilly, Spencer, Jason and I went to his parents'.

We rode the elevator in complete and utter silence, Jason gloomy and bored, Spencer tense and anxious, me completely and utterly nonchalant.

I knocked on the door with my bare knuckles and sighed, peering up at Spencer as he licked his lips nervously.

A few moments later, the door swung open and Jason's dad stood before us in a flannel shirt and smart trousers.

I wanted to cry at the sight of him; he'd clearly put effort into his appearance for the day.

"Fuckin' 'ell," He said, appraising me. "There ain't no way you're the same broad who was here all them weeks ago." He said, shaking his head as he looked at me.

"Hi Mr. Jones," I smiled sheepishly. "It's definitely me, Melanie."

"Fuckin' 'ell," He repeated and then stood back with a shake of his head, opening the door wider. "S'pose you best come in then."

I smiled and nodded my head before leading the way inside the small flat. I heard the door close behind me as I entered the living room.

"Jesus Christ," Mrs. Jones swore, stubbing her cigarette out as she got to her feet. She was wearing jeans and a smart blouse, her hair pulled back with a clasp. "It's no wonder our Daz died if your faces are anythin' to go by." She said, waving me forward.

"Thank you for agreeing to see us," I said as she patted my shoulder and pulled me down on the sofa beside her.

"This is my husband, Spencer." I said, gesturing to Spencer who awkwardly lowered himself into the armchair Mrs. Jones gestured to.

Jason walked around the back of the armchair, remaining in a tense stance.

Mr. Jones entered the living room, watching him with a sour expression as he hovered in the doorway.

Jason's hands were firmly in the pockets of his jacket and I could tell this was not a pleasant experience for him.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you both," Spencer was saying worriedly, his body tense as Jason walked behind his chair.

"I'll be forever grateful after everything you done for Melanie." He said with a small smile to the couple.

"Psht," Mrs. Jones scoffed, waving her hand. "It was nowt."

There was a brief silence before,

"Well? Aren't you goin' say somethin'?" I looked at Mr. Jones who had his arms folded defiantly as he appraised his son.

"I've got nothin' to say." Jason shrugged, looking out the window.

"It's been close to ten years and that's all you have to say?"

Silence.

"I think it's best if we tell you what happened." I said quickly before anyone else could take offence to the tension in the air.