40. Thankyou

"Laugh, even when you feel too sick or too worn out or tired. Smile, even when you're trying not to cry and the tears are blurring your vision. Sing, even when people stare at you and tell you your voice is crappy. Trust, even when your heart begs you not to. Twirl, even when your mind makes no sense of what you see.  Frolick, even when you are made fun of.  Kiss, even when others are watching. Sleep, even when you're afraid of what the dreams might bring. Run, even when it feels like you can't run any more. And, always, remember, even when the memories pinch your heart. Because the pain of all your experience is what makes you the person you are now. And without your experience, you are an empty page, a blank notebook, a missing lyric. What makes you brave is your willingness to live through your terrible life and hold your head up high the next day. So don't live life in fear. Because you are stronger now, after all the crap has happened, than you ever were back before it started." ― Alysha Speer

The Fighter

"And how's Naomi doing?" I asked Jack via the video-call, my tablet resting on the counter as I moved around the kitchen.

"That's grand," Jack chuckled. "I'm your brother and you're asking more about Naomi than you are about me!" We both laughed and he shook his head in awe.

"I'm kidding, she's well." He nodded and a moment later Naomi threw herself in front of the screen.

"Hey Mel, how are you?!" She called and I turned around eagerly to see her. "Holy cow you're getting big! Are you sure there aren't twins in there?!"

We all laughed and I shook my head, stroking my bump.

"I'm just overdue, that's all." I explained.

"Isn't that rare for your second?" Jack asked as he and Naomi settled in on the sofa in front of the camera.

"I mean it can be," I shrugged. "I'm not complaining, it just gives us more time to organise things."

"You mean it gives me more time to organise things," Spencer puffed, jogging downstairs covered in paint. "Hey guys!" He waved and joined me next to the counter, grinning like a child.

"What're you cheesing at?" I asked suspiciously, drying my hands on a towel and narrowing my eyes.

"It's finished." He smiled and I gasped.

"You two are just adorable!" Naomi cooed.

"Can we see it too?" Jack asked and Spencer smiled excitedly, nodding.

I took the tablet into my hands and allowed Spencer to lead me around the kitchen island to the staircase.

Our home wasn't anything too large or fancy - but it was comfortable.

It wasn't too far from the beach, and made mostly of sustainable energy and bulletproof reinforced glass.

The downstairs floor was all open-plan, bright and airy, with a little snug under the stairs.

On the first floor, were three bedrooms, and ours was in the attic up an additional flight of stairs.

We'd spent the last month decorating, Spencer throwing himself into maintaining the home whilst I helped Carter settle into her new role. Mainly via the home-office on the first floor.

There was a safety bunker in the basement, and a little studio in an annexe in the garden - we hadn't quite decided what the studio was going to be.

A granny flat for when my parents came to visit?

An art studio for if we decided to take up a hobby?

A special den for the kids?

There were unlimited possibilities with our home, and that's why we were so in love with it.