25. Lies

"Hiding how you really feel and trying to make everyone happy doesn't make you nice, it just makes you a liar." ― Jenny O'Connell

The Spy

We lay together, naked, a thin sheet covering us and our clothes shed around the room, watching each other sleepily and happily, both so content in the moment.

"What is this for?" I asked, reaching forward to pluck the chain from around his chest, observing the flat silver coin and wondering what it represented.

"Turn it over." He said softly and I obliged, realising that the coin was engraved to say 'never forget'.

"Never forget what?" I asked curiously, looking up to meet his eyes, to find him already watching me closely, a far and distant expression on his face.

"It's our wedding rings," He said softly. "I had them melted down into a coin," He explained and I realised that's why it was so odd looking. "I wear it so I never forget the dangers of dealing with love in this life."

I observed his face for a little longer in silence.

"You really are a dark soul, aren't you?" I asked rhetorically, placing a hand against his face and watching him carefully.

"I can't help it," He shrugged, avoiding my eyes suddenly. "I wish I wasn't like this, but I am."

"Hey," I said, tipping his chin so he would look at me. "There's nothing wrong with being dark," I said, shaking my head. "As long as you remember to come back to the light every now and again." I smiled and so did he, before he reached forward and pressed a gentle kiss to my lips.

It wasn't sudden, as I would have expected, it was more gradual and curious. But a noise began making it's way up to the loft where we lay, and I broke out of our kiss to pause and listen, focusing all of my energy into my ears.

Crying.

It wasn't wailing or sobbing or screaming, as I would have imagined, but constant cries, as if they'd always been crying and didn't know how to stop.

"Something's wrong." I said, my stomach dropping with dread as I threw the sheet back and reached for my t-shirt.

"What?" Jason blurted, sitting up and watching as I hurried around the room, gathering clean underwear and jeans.

"Emily!" Carter's voice came from outside the door. "Get down here real quick." She said, banging on the door.

"Coming!" I called, throwing Jason his t-shirt.

"What the fuck's going on?" He grumbled, staggering and tripping as he tried to get ready in a hurry.

I was unable to answer, nerves and adrenaline coursing through my veins.

I tucked my gun into the back of my pants, pulled on boots and grabbed my jacket, ready to leave at the drop of a hat.

I was aware of Jason following behind me quickly, less prepared than I was.

I couldn't have imagined what I was about to find and hear, but as soon as Jason and I entered the kitchen, we knew it was something dreadful.

Melanie was sat at the table, crying, her head in her hands as Hotch silently cried beside her, a hand on her back,

Spencer was crossing the room to the dining table, and a moment later, he'd picked up a dining chair and, yelling, threw it through the patio doors out into the back yard.

"What's going on?" I called over the chaos, the rest of the team gathered around the kitchen counters, sleepy and confused.

"Diana," Hotch choked as Melanie leapt to her feet and ran after Spencer who had fallen in amongst the glass, sobbing. "She's dead."