10. Messages

"The most confused you will ever get is when you try to convince your heart and spirit of something your mind knows is a lie." ― Shannon L. Alder

The Fighter

Saturday @ 06:00 (UK) 01:00 (USA):

I sent the message and threw the phone out of the car window, knowing that with hundreds of cars travelling on this motorway each day, it wouldn't take long before it was destroyed.

Despite the fact it was probably one of the most secure cell-phones in the world, I knew that Interpol would still be able to track it somehow, and I now knew that I was on the run from them, as well.

I wasn't even sure if the family still lived in London, but they were the only people on the planet that I could think of who may be able to help me.

I abandoned the car at the airport, and managed to pick-pocket my way onto the rush-hour underground, feeling guilty and ashamed and disgusted, but knowing that my only way back home to my family, was to beg borrow and steal my way there.

Once in the heart of London, I walked for what felt like forever before I found a public library.

I was able to slip inside and access one of their computers, and after a few hours of searching, I accessed the electoral roll and found who I was looking for.

Printing a Google Map of where I had to go, I prayed I was doing the right thing.

It was dinner-time before I got to the outskirts of London and the run-down neighbourhood.

I knew he'd grown up in the roughest of areas, but I didn't know it was quite so bad.

I took the elevator to the twentieth floor of the high-rise flat and gulped before hammering on the door.

I could hear talking and the sound of the TV on the other side of the door, and licked my lips, praying they still lived here and the voter's register was up-to-date.

If not, well, I could always hang outside for a while until a local gang came by.

The door swung open and a heavy-set man wearing a white vest and old checked-shirt stood, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and greasy white hair slicked back.

"Who the 'ell are you?" He grumbled around the cigarette.

"Mr. Jones?" I inquired in a clear voice and he frowned.

"Who the 'ell wants to know?" He demanded, taking the cigarette out of his mouth to blow smoke into my face.

"I'm Melanie, I'm a friend of your son." There was a pause as we stared at each other.

"You're a friend of Jason's?" He enquired and I shook my head.

"I'm a friend of Darren's."

The Comforter

Saturday: 01:00 (USA) 06:00 (UK):

Upstairs, in the hotel room, Spencer stared at my phone, tears in his eyes as my dad and Beth paced back and forth.

"How can we trust this?" My dad said after a while.

"We have to!" I exclaimed and Beth shushed me from the conjoining door where Tilly lay asleep in Spencer's room.

"I haven't told anybody about the code. Even you guys don't know about it, really!" I gushed, wanting to shake them all into doing something.

"There's no way anybody could've... I don't know... guessed?" Beth said slowly, waving her hand about as she pulled her robe tighter.

"No," I said emphatically, shaking my head. "That code... I mean... Do you even know what that means?" I asked Spencer, gesturing to the phone in his hands.