31

Mary's heart rate sped up. Her palms were sweaty, and she felt slightly nauseous.

The air conditioner was running and she could feel the cool air against her bare skin, but it did little to cool her body.

Although the first thing that she wanted to do was tell Ryker this wasn't the right time. Her haste could cause more damage than good.

"This was my fault. I should have done a better job with managing border patrol," Bruno said while looking down at Abraham.

Mary's gut twisted with a mixture of fear and distrust. He sounded so sincere, but Mary knew without a doubt that Bruno was the one who threw the matches onto the gasoline.

"Do we know anything from these attacks?" Ryker asked.

"No," Bruno answered. He turned around to look at Mary. She tried her hardest to school her emotions. Her heart was racing a mile a minute. She was sure if she couldn't control her fear, he could detect a change in her demeanor.

Bruno's scrutinizing eyes fell on her. Mary felt like a prey stuck in his crosshairs. Every hair on her body stood at attention. Then it flickered from her face to the crook of her neck. His eyes narrowed with disdain. She watched his eyes slid back up to her, almost accusing her silently.

She didn't feel safe at all. Immediately, she shuffled over to Ryker and hid half her body behind his back. Her hands went to clutch his shirt. She practically almost pressed her body against Ryker. She felt so cold underneath Bruno's disapproving gaze that she couldn't help welcoming Ryker's heat.

"You marked her?" Bruno questioned, but it came out almost as an accusation.

"Yes," Ryker responded.

Mary felt Ryker's right arm moved back to grasp her hand in his. Without speaking, he was reassuring her she was safe. Instantly, she exhaled. Ryker wouldn't let anyone hurt her. He'll protect her.

"You rut with her a few times and that was all it took."

Ryker's hand tightened on hers. HIs back tense with unspoken anger. Amid her fear and anxiety, she could discern a burning fire growing in the pit of her stomach. She knew it was Ryker's emotions.

"Watch your mouth, Bruno," Ryker snarled.

"You think I am the only one that thinks this? There were calamities happening in the pack and you were busy rutting with a female." Bruno was relentless and asking for his death. "Funny, how it all happened when she entered our territory."

The insinuation was there. He wanted to blame Mary. What happened next startled Mary. Ryker released her hand and attacked Bruno. Her male moved with impressive and inhuman speed. With one blink, he had Bruno struggling against the opposite wall.

Ryker bared his canines, pealing his lips back. Exerting his dominance over the disrespectful wolf and forcing him to obey. Ryker released a wave of Alpha dominance. It coiled in the air and affected all their wolves. Even Ethan lowered his head and downcast his eyes as a sign of obedience. Mary's wolf felt the effect, but Ryker was her mate. She didn't feel the same compulsion to obey.

Bruno growled his displeasure. Ryker didn't like it one bit. He threw one hard hit at Bruno's jaw and busted his lips. Grabbed Bruno's shirt and threw him like a rag doll across the room. Bruno was a big male and so he hit the opposite wall with a grunt. Ryker strived toward him. A cold and menacing look in his eyes that Mary never seen before. Placing one foot on Bruno's left wrist, he applied pressure.

Bruno grit his teeth and the muscles on his face ticked with pain and anger.

"You insulted my mate. I should kill you right here, right now," Ryker snarled.