12

Ryker was influential in every way possible. The way he entered the room demanded everyone's attention. It was like he thickened the air in the room with his presence. It was powerful.

Mary didn't realize that their brief side trip was to a human city. It enthralled her at how busy it was here in the bigger cities than back at home.

They had entered a skyscraper building. Dark tinted windows reflecting in the sunlight. People opening doors for them. It was unusual for someone like her.

Mary's eyes zipped to Ryker who walked to her side. Hastily, her eyes looked over his attire and confusion flooded her.

He told them he had a business meeting, but his jet-black hair smoothed back and tied in an outlandish ponytail. With the medium-length taper fade cut and heavy stubble growing, he looked like a rocker.

He wore a plain black block t-shirt and a dark flannel overshirt rolled up to his elbow. Slightly ripped black denim jeans looked like it's gone through a life cycle of its own. Rocker studded bracelets and daring silver necklaces of every kind. He finished the look off with black combat boots and black sunglasses.

Mary looked at the people around them and saw how different they were in styles. They dressed all business-like while Mary wore Ryker's clothes. His cardamom and clove scent rolling off from her in a possessive blanket. Any living, breathing werewolf within a twenty-yard radius would guarantee to smell them both.

Yet even with the way they dressed, the people who worked there greeted them with respect and smiles.

"I should have brought some clothes," Mary murmured quietly to them both.

He turned his head to look down her body leisurely and then met her eyes with his dark sunglasses.

"If you hadn't cried all night, we would have stopped by a local retail store nearby..."

Mary sighed, and her shoulders sagged. She tried to hide her tears all night, but it saddened her. She upsetted her brother. It was the last thing she wanted to do because of their close relationship. She also found she misses her family already. This was something she has never done before.

"I'm sorry," she fussed.

"Never mind what you are wearing. These people won't say or look down on you if they value their job," Ryker threatened.

Suddenly, familiar people appeared at the entrance of the skyscraper building.

Abraham grinned at them with his hands stuffed in his jeans while the enforcers gave a friendly wave towards her

"Let's go," Ryker said finally.

Together they walked up to Abraham.

"How are things inside?" Ryker asked as soon as he reached his brother.

"Well, seeing that you arrived an hour and twenty minutes late to the meeting, I could complete the last details of the charitable event this evening," he replied casually.

Ryker didn't mention the reason they were late. He remained silent and added to the suspense why they were late.

A movement to Mary's right snatched her attention to her right. She looked up to see a tall brunette, human man walking towards them. His eyes were on Ryker first before it slid to Mary.

His eyes did a quick assessment of who she was. She could see the equations and hypotheses going off in his head like light bulbs.

Clothes, messy hair, swollen eyes, late for the meeting.

Conclusion - his side chick for the time being. A booty call.

But then his eyes miraculously slid back up to greet her and his assessment halts.