1

Tonight, would either change Mary's fate forever or seriously disappoint her. For five years, she had attended the Mating Ball. In those five years, she had earned herself a spot along the wall, watching everyone find their mated pair and being swept off their feet. Her heart seemed to be lodged in throat all evening in anticipation of what she was about to do.

As werewolves, it has always been a societal norm to married swiftly after turning eighteen, or at least before the age of twenty-five. After completing the mating process, the couple established a lifetime bond that was unbreakable. Mary knew she was losing hope quickly. At twenty-five, she hasn't even caught the attention of any male werewolf.

If she doesn't act now, everything would be for nothing. Daniela, her sister-in-law, had spent many hours and days sewing her ballgown together. It was a light pink and subtle blue floral lace applique ballgown with capped sleeves that swept to the polished gold floor.

"I can do this," she murmured to herself as soon as she saw the male she had her attention on slipping out some heavy golden double doors discreetly.

She passed many people wearing wondrous tuxedos and ballgowns. The arched ceiling glimmered underneath the magnificent chandeliers. The soft music playing in the background. She hastened her footsteps, picking up the ends of her ballgown just to trip and fall over.

Slipping through the door she saw him slipped through, she entered a dark corridor. Blinking until her eyes adjusted to the dimness, she made her way down the hall. Her gown swishing gently underneath her. The door behind her closed with a soft click.

Mary followed his gentle scent, it was a very peculiar scent but one that she found strangely alluring. A mixture of cardamom and cloves with a hint of sweetness to it. She couldn't pin if it was the choice of his cologne or was it just how he naturally smelled.

It grew stronger as she followed the scent into another dark room. Slowly, she twisted the golden doorknob and opened the door a crack so she can look inside.

"Hello?" she whispered.

No one answered her. Strange. His scent was the strongest in this room. He must be here. She opened the door further and stepped inside completely. Again, the door closed softly behind her with a click.

She moved into the middle of the room, "Mr. Stonewall?"

She realized she shouldn't have called him that. Her pursuit was not a mister only. He was a male with great prestige. He was the Beta of the Stonewall pack. She had to address him by his title. Just as she was about to do that, she saw movement out by the terrace.

"Are you there?" she asked and entered onto the terrace where he was hiding. The moon illuminated the night sky, and she felt like she had somehow invaded his privacy. He had moved to this empty room for that reason, but she needed to do this. She needed to captivate this male or she would never find a happily ever after.

Without glancing at his face, she closed her eyes, grabbed his cheeks and stood on her tiptoes before slamming her lips onto his.

The kiss was less than eloquent. Her teeth had knocked into his. It was painful, and she grimaced, but she was a determined female. He stood before her, rigid with surprise and anger. Of course, he would be mad at her. She had practically knocked teeth with him, but she would not go down without a fight.

She slanted her lips over his and instantly found how soft his lips were. They were nice and pillow-y. Not chapped at all, which she found pleasing. Suddenly, Mary wanted to taste him. She parted her lips gently and slowly tugged on his bottom lip, urging him to let suck on it.

When he refused to comply, she caressed his cheeks gently as an act of an apology for kissing him abruptly. To her utter surprise and delight, he offered her his lips, but that was all he did. He refused to move from his spot. His body was still stiff with tension, but oh, this man smelled wonderful. She felt like drowning in it.