29

Ryker didn't take that information in too well. It was the idea that Mary's life could be in danger that changed everything. It propelled him to bring her back to his home. She was safer with him than anywhere else at this point.

Now, standing in the small foyer of Ryker's home, Mary looked ready to argue with his one-sided decision. However, the look on his face halted all the words she had prepared on the way here.

"Is this really necessary?" She asked.

"I promised your family I would keep you safe."

Mary doesn't know why, but when he said that it made her upset.

"We aren't even sure if the person I saw knows that I saw him. Besides, I don't want to be an obligation to you. If it's the promise about my brother that is bothering you, I can dissolve you of that issue. I am a grown female and can handle my own decisions and choices."

Ryker released a frustrated growl before taking hold of Mary's hands that she was wringing together subconsciously in front of her. He pulled her closer to him. Taking both her hands into his, he bent his head a little to look into her eyes.

"You know that's not what I meant. You should already have guessed the direction of my feelings towards you, Mary."

Being here has changed Mary's life dramatically. In her pack, she had been almost invisible to the opposite sex for years, but living here she has learned to become more independent and confident in her features and skills. The feeling was inexplainable, but Mary knew that she had changed and for the better.

Ryker had told her how much he desired her that night she drunk a little too much tonic. Then he asked to court her and took her out on a date. He had kissed and made love to her in ways no one has ever done before.

Mary bit her bottom lip and heat crawled up her neck and warmed her cheeks. Her gaze dropped to the where his hands were holding hers securely. With Ryker, she felt stronger, confident, and desired. Yet she wondered if what she had guessed was truly what he was thinking. Ryker said he got hurt in the past. He may still don't trust her.

"I may have guessed, but I haven't heard - "

He stopped her sentence by yanking her into the hard planes of his chest. Placing a firm, possessive hand on the back of her neck, he brought their lips together. A gentle kiss. A tug here and there to urge her to let go of her resistance. When she responded by kissing him back, they fell into a seamless sync.

For such a rough Alpha male, Ryker was always tender towards Mary. Maybe that was the reason her heart refused to maintain a steady heartbeat when he was around her. His lips were soft and pillowy. His cardamon and cloves scent has become a second scent to Mary. She would bask it in it for days if she could. How addicted has she become to him was beyond her.

When Ryker broke the kiss, he cradled her face. He took his time looking over her features and remembered faintly the first night she had kissed him. There was no point in denying what he feels. This female before him had him utterly trapped within her firm grasps. He had already proclaimed his rights to her in front of his pack already.

"You are mine," he professed to her. "From the moment you kissed me at the Mating Ball to the moment you left with me that night I was leaving your pack. No one else was going to have you."

Ryker smoothed her hair to her back, exposing her neck.

"W-what d-do you mean?" Mary stuttered. He was looking at her with so much passion and tenderness, her insides were melting. Her knees wobbled so much in his presence, she had to lean towards him a little to hold herself up. Her heart felt like it was lodged in her throat.