24

Ryker's home was built like a typical chalet's home. With cherry wood exterior, a heavy, gentle sloping roof and wide but sturdy eaves. Inside his home, you'll expect it to have a home-y effect. They built it flowers, rugs, pictures on the walls, but Ryker had nothing on the walls. Maybe one or two rugs in the home.

His bedroom looked like a motel room with only a cherry oak dresser, an empty desk table in the far-right corner, and a king-size bed.

However, his office was a different story. It probably was the only room that had the most furniture. Two loveseat sofas surrounding a glass coffee table. Windows that touched ceiling to floor that overlooked a garden and a long-curved balcony there. Then there were several odd paintings hanging on the walls. A desk with filing cabinets and two bookshelves that covered one side of the wall.

Ryker sat in his home office reading the written and sketched survey and evaluation of the crime scene delivered by some of his trackers. They delivered the documents after Mary left for work.

The detailed sketches stage the possibility of a rogue attack. Evidence points to no ulterior motives behind the perpetrator. In addition, Ava had no issues with any pack mate and from her history, she was on her own for most part of her life. Yet, Ryker couldn't stop the gut feeling there was more to it than just a simple rogue attack.

A knock at the door before his brother walked in. Checking in on Ryker, making sure he wasn't drowning in trying to figure out what was going on.

"Anything new?" Abraham asked while walking over to examine the laid out papers on Ryker's desk. He picked up a photo of Ava's dead body.

Ryker sighed and dropped the blood forensics report onto the desk before rubbing his forehead.

"I've spent three hours reviewing every single paper. Looking for some clue but nothing," Ryker replied.

"I have Bruno working with the border patrols on extra shifts, if this was an attack from the outside. Gary and Ethan are re-examining the crime scene and tracing Ava's steps again."

Ryker couldn't thank his brother enough. Things that Ryker may have overlooked, Abraham was always there to take care of the loose ends. Abraham would no doubt make an excellent Alpha, but the position comes with so many burdens and responsibility. Abraham would give up his life as a pack member and go rogue than become an Alpha. Ryker knew his brother well.

Ryker pressed two fingers to the spot between his eyes and closed them briefly. His mind reeling with a million things at once. Shutting off the images and voices in his head was almost impossible.

"Am I overthinking, Abe? Was this really a rogue attack?" Ryker questioned.

"You are not. A rogue attack and they only killed one person? Seems a little odd for an attack. Rogues don't just attack randomly. They would have spent days observing our schedules and activity. If they were going to attack, I would imagine more damage than killing a pack member."

Those questions were questions that Ryker asked himself too. Although the evidence pointed to a rogue attack. It made little sense. Why kill one innocent when you could target more than just one?

"What are people saying?" Ryker questioned.

"Many are looking answers."

Ryker stood up from his seat. Shoving his hands through his hair in frustration. He began pacing. The throbbing in his temples increased.

"How about we take a break? Come back with fresh eyes," Abraham suggested, realizing that his brother was close to losing it.

Ryker growled low in frustration. Unanswered questions were bugging the hell out of him. Still pacing, he rubbed at his temples.