13

Mary couldn't even explain the constant nervousness that was brewing inside of her. Her mind was running a million clumsy, awkward, and humiliating situations that could happen at the event. She was completely out of her element.

Yet...

Underneath all that, it enlivened her with the alternative possibilities in her life. For the first time, she was free to make her choice. There was no worrying about her pack or what they would think of her. It gave some courage. Courage that she needed badly.

The evening gown she had chosen was beyond her imagination. All her old ball gowns were neither revealing nor conservative. She wore enough to show skin, but not enough to allow males to run wild.

Tonight, she had chosen a gown with her eyes closed. Mary didn't care if she looked good in it or if she looked horrible.

Her hands ran gently down the white tulle sheer-lace evening gown. The pattern teasing her palms and rejuvenating the excitement inside of her. She was alone. Ryker left with his enforcers, but he reluctantly allowed Abraham to bring her to the event.

Together, they drove in a rented limousine. Abraham was quiet next to her, and she was thankful for that. Her mind scattered and there was so much going on inside of her she knew she wouldn't be able to speak straight.

Honking outside on the city streets tore her eyes away from her lap. She looked outside onto the busy street. Back at home, it wasn't this busy. There were still so many cars outside. So many people walking, eating, and enjoying the evening.

When the limousine slowed down, she turned to look towards Abraham's window. They were here. People were getting out of their limos or waiting to get out. Their limousine bypassed everyone's and drove straight to the front.

Abraham opened his door before stepping around to open her door. She slid out of the limo with her hands in Abraham's offered hand. The night breeze brushed her exposed shoulder and neck like a pair of lips. She sucked in a breath and her hands shook.

"You okay?" Abraham asked when he felt her hand tightened in his.

Her hair swept into a tight bun and lined with silver pins. Her makeup was light to match her light brown hair and fair skin. The street light glistened the lip gloss on her lips.

"I'm okay. Just nervous," she chuckled.

He smiled down at her and she felt touched at his kindness. Abraham didn't tease her as she expected. It was a relief.

Their limo drove away as soon as Abraham closed the door. He led her to the sidewalk before they took the wide steps to the grand entrance. Many people hung around to have conversation outside the grand entrance. Laughter and soft music tiptoed out of the building.

"I remember my first time coming to these things," Abraham said as they climbed the steps. "I looked about ready to shift and knock everyone over."

The image of Abraham shifting in front of a bunch of humans seemed ridiculous, but it brought a smile to Mary's face.

"You don't believe me?" Abraham questioned as they reached the grand entrance.

"How can I? I've heard stories about you two brothers. You two fought to the top of our chain. Made a name for yourselves. Became the most successful pack out there, both in military combat and wealth," Mary replied. "I can think of every description that can describe both your ambitions and confidence, but anxiety? It never came to my mind."

Abraham laughed loudly. It earned them looks from people who were nearby. Females looked at Abraham with evident interest. It only made sense. He looked both dashing and dangerous in front of everyone. The males that attended this event couldn't compare to his looks.