10

Mary was halfway through her work shift when she received a text from her brother. Marcus wanted her to come over. She thought nothing of it.

That was until the person who opened the front door was someone she didn't recognize. He looked robust in frame and the heavily sun-kissed skin told he worked in the fields a lot. She had nothing against it at all. Actually, he looked charming when he smiled at her.

"Mary!" her brother shouted from inside their home.

Mary glanced inside before returning her eyes back to the unknown man. "Who are you?"

"I'm sorry. My name is Benjamin. I'm a friend of your brother," he said and brought his hand out for her to shake.

She shook it just as her brother appeared from behind. He grinned when he saw Mary.

"So glad you could make it," he said.

"Well, you told me to buy cake," Mary said and looked down at the cake in her hand.

"Dani has been asking about it. I figured I might just kill two birds with one stone. You know?" he chuckled and opened the door wider for Mary to enter.

They walked further inside before two twin boys came running out. They screamed Mary's name and wrapped their limbs around Mary's legs. Jonathan and Joey were little rascals and enjoyed making their auntie miserable.

"Auntie Mary, guess what? Guess what?" the two four years old boys asked in unison.

The mischievous looks in their eyes told her there was more behind those questions. She was half afraid to ask, but she loved them terribly.

"I won't take the bait unless you two boys release me," she posed with a tilt of her chin to show them she would not deal.

Slowly, she felt the weight on her legs lifted. With a smirk, she handed the cake to Marcus and crouched down to look at them eye level. Both boys looked like their father. The replica in hair and smiles.

"Alright. I'm ready. What's up?" she asked them.

Joey leaned over immediately, "Daddy got a secret."

"A big secret!" Jonathan added without whispering.

Joey threw his brother a glare. "Johnny, you weren't supposed to say it out loud."

A brisk chuckle from behind her caught them all by surprise. She lost her balance with Joey's weight and fell backward, but powerful arms caught her. Immediately, she realized that Benjamin didn't leave. He stayed behind to watch their interaction and caught her in time before they all tumbled to the hardwood floor.

"Whoa there," Benjamin laughed.

"He's the big secret," Jonathan leaned in to whisper in his Auntie's ear.

Confused, Mary frowned as Benjamin hoisted her up, and the boys straightened. Now that they were all standing, she turned around to look at Benjamin.

"I'm sorry, you caught me by surprise," she apologized quickly.

"Mary, Benjamin, boys come and sit down," Marcus said from the dining room.

Daniela stepped out from the kitchen with a bowl of salad in one hand and the other on her back. Mary smiled immediately when she saw her sister-in-law.

"Oh, you are glowing, Dani," Mary said and walked over to hug her sister-in-law tightly.

"I'm fat, Mary," Dani laughed.

"You are not fat. You look beautiful," Mary argued.

"That's what I tell her every day," Marcus said from the head of the table.