20

The casual dining restaurant sat in the middle of the town. It had a low-key atmosphere and particular choices in decor. There were about a dozen of round tables and a few booths against the warm mocha colored walls.

As soon as the waiter seen Ryker and Mary walked through the door, he worked quickly in getting them seated. Ryker and Mary sat in a booth by an open window. On the other side of the open window was the perfect view of their dense woods and the mountainous blue skies.

"Would you like to have your regular order, Alpha?" the waiter asked.

Ryker orders only one dish from this restaurant. Nothing else. Everyone knows that the Alpha was a picky eater. He was a meat kind of guy. The owner of the restaurant cooks Alpha Ryker's dish. It wasn't an inconvenience because Ryker was paying him to work here in the mountains. The dish was pan-seared beef tenderloin with a roasted garlic, chili infusion with a sweet, tangy mango salsa to abate the heat of the chilis. They also served it with a simple side salad or steam vegetables, and wine.

The dish sounded delicious to Mary and because Ryker ordered it; she wanted to know what were his preferences.

About thirty minutes later, and the dishes arrived. When Mary caught a whiff of the aromatic garlic and rosemary scent, her stomach grumbled loudly.

"Sorry. I didn't eat breakfast this morning," she apologized.

"Why didn't you?" He picked up his steak knife and fork.

"I was making breakfast for Luis and Doris. I got occupied... "she said shyly.

With the time they spent in the greenhouse, picking some vegetables for her to bring home, and traveling here, it was past noon already.

Mary cut into the medium-rare steak. They cooked the steak medium-rare with pink to the flesh. She mixed it with the salsa and brought the fork to her mouth. Immediately, the chef's skills impressed Mary. He seasoned the meat properly and she could still taste the infused garlic and chilis, but the mango salsa cooled the heat.

"I can see why you like eating this dish," she said with a smile.

"Do you like it?" Ryker asked.

"The chef here knew what he is doing. I love the different textures and flavors that he put together." She took another large bite.

"I was traveling in the Pacific part of the states when I came across him at a restaurant." Ryker shrugged while chewing his food. "Made an offer he couldn't turn down."

"Do you do a lot of traveling?" she asked curiously.

"I don't like to travel very much. However, with Alpha duties and pack responsibility, there are many pack members that rely on me. Its important that I oversee some matters personally. So, to answer you question, I travel more than anyone within the pack."

"Does Abraham go with you when you travel?" Picking up her of lemon water, she took a sip.

Ryker stuck his fork into a steamed broccoli. "No, I like to have him here to watch the pack."

"So, you travel alone?"

"Most of the time," he replied with a shrug.

"That must be lonely." She couldn't imagine traveling alone. The idea was a little frightening and lonely. Imagine the many nights he slept alone in a hotel room or appeared in a room filled with strangers. She felt his burden.

"I'm used to it."

Mary ate the last of her steak, scooping up all the salsa on the last slice of steak before popping in her mouth. The waiter refilled their cups of water before leaving them alone again.

The Wallflower MateOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara