2

After the Mating Ball, Ryker was determined to return to his pack land and go on with his life. Yet, it's been days, and he hasn't been able to have a single good night rest. As a matter of fact, he has been dreaming about her.

Mary Elizabeth Carter—a paragon of sensuality but a complete disturbance to Ryker's state of mind. God damn, Ryker didn't want to like anything about her but he did. The female was bold--shameless to had approached him.

He should be used to it by now. Females constantly throw themselves at him because of his ranking status, his wallet size, and the amount of power he holds. They didn't care if he was a psychopath, sociopath, or some kind of fucked up narcissistic asshole. They didn't care because he wasn't born into his rank but fought his way to his position.

He learned his lesson when he fell in love years ago to a female he thought loved him but got his heartbroken. He swore to himself that never again would he allow himself to feel those feelings.

Yet when he felt the warm press of a feminine body pressed against his---all he could do was think about driving himself deep inside of her. He could argue that it had been two years since he had experienced a soft willing and curvy body pressed against his but it wasn't just that. There was something about her that kept him furious but desiring.

His eyes wandered back to the picture of Mary staring back at him. Logged into the Classification as a low ranking female wolf. She has no achievements within or outside of her pack. Her parents have passed away, but she has one brother who was an enforcer for the Solomon pack.

His eyes swept past her date of birth, newly turned twenty-five years old and unmated. A total of seven years' difference between them. Immediately, he knew she was seeking him for a mating prospect. He couldn't think of why else she would step inside a dark room and kissed a stranger.

But why did she run away when she heard someone come into the room? Didn't she want to get caught?

Unable to think any further and angry that she was entering his thoughts even while awake, he slammed the laptop closed. Abraham looked up from the file he was reading, unfazed with his brother's antics.

"Are the statements showing fraudulent charges?" he asked.

Ryker stood up from his seat and walked over to his office window. He took in the evergreen forests and mountains before him. They lived far from the city but still have a brawny hand in the investment industry in the city. It was their main financial resource. They used what investments to maintain their land.

Once in a while, Ryker or Abraham would step out of the territory to resolve investment issues or establish new investments. The rest of the pack members either work for Ryker or own their own kind of income. It generated a good economic cycle within the pack. As their leader, he could help those supported by the pack on internal and external matters.

"Or could it be the female scent I smelled when I found you in that dark room during the Mating Ball?" Abraham prodded further.

Ryker turned to glare at his brother. The two brothers were three years apart. Yet the two have a similar resemblance that if apart, no one could tell the difference between the two.

"Your nose is off. Might want to get that checked," Ryker replied, moving back to sit in his seat.

He picked up the file and stared blindly at the numbers he was reading. Irritation was rolling off of him in waves, but he refused to acknowledge it.

"My nose can smell a female scent perfectly," he smirked, setting down his own folder on Ryker's desk.

Abraham leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest to eye Ryker's mysterious shift in mood with a silent observation. Between the two brothers, Ryker was one who did not trust easily with females.