19

Ryker followed closely behind Mary as she examined the strawberries that were growing in long, white rain gutters. The strawberries were bare root strawberries that he purchased. Ryker then filled the gutters with a moist soilless mix, trimmed the roots before planting the roots into the soft soil.

"I have just arrived, but I believe this may be my most favorite place of all. This place has a calming ambiance. It shuts out the outside world. There is no noise or voices," she whispered softly while walking down the gray pathway.

It was one of Ryker's favorite places, too. He came here often to plant most of the vegetables and plants. He tended to them daily. Alexei stops by when Ryker doesn't check on the greenhouse too.

Ryker noticed that she looked but didn't touch. Her arms stayed by her side the whole time. Almost as if she was afraid of ruining what was in front of her. Her brown eyes were bright with interest. A soft smile played on her lips. A million reasons were running silently in his head.

Ryker knew what he had gotten himself into. It started with his unwillingness to let her go. He knew that without a doubt. He had to ask her to come to his pack. He promised her opportunities as an excuse. Lord above, she was inching closer to his heart, and he was apprehensive about that fact.

He learned his lesson with Lottie. It tore him apart when she left him. Yet... he hopes...

Ryker reached for a ripe strawberry. He plucked it from the vine. Mary's attention flew to his hand before looking at him.

"Would you like to taste?" he said.

Mary didn't argue. Grabbing for the strawberry before bringing it to her lips and then taking a bite with her lips wrapped around the fruit. His entire body reacted to her eating that strawberry.

Without thinking, he stepped closer and touched her chin. Leaning forward, he took her lips between his. Mary parted her lips willingly with no fight. His entire body was on fire. Ryker broke the kiss a second later. Pulling away, he looked to see her reaction.

Deny. Push me away. Stop me, Ryker thought.

When she offered no protest or outrage for the stolen kiss, his hand boldly slipped to cradle her cheek. Leaning forward, he took her lips back into his again. His good conscience was deafening. It shouted for him to stop, but the feel of her soft lips and her sweet presence was intense. There were many reasons he should act like a gentleman and walk away, but Ryker was never good to start with. Like a paralyzing fog, it numbed all logic inside of him. Ryker couldn't stop kissing her even if he wanted to. It didn't help that she was kissing him back too.

Push me away, Mary, Ryker scolded her in his mind. His other hand moved to grip one of her arms, digging his fingers into her muscles. Pushing her to push him away.

She moaned instead, and he hardened in response.

Curse you, Mary, Ryker growled deeply within his chest. His fingers further digging into her arms out of pure frustration at her response.

It puzzled him greatly. Why did she not push him away? He was ruining her innocence. Ryker was taking like some kind of barbarian when he knew he should treat Mary like a female of value. Growling, he yanked her an arm length away. His hands firmly set on her arms.

Mary should know better. Her virtue should be everything. In a society like this, giving it away would be a great disappointment, especially if she wanted a mate.

Although females could lose their virtue as quickly as males, it was knowingly frown upon. For someone like Mary, she deserved better. She deserved more than someone like him. He would take everything she gives in a second. He'll devour her---savor every single part of her body and make her scream with need.