26. Only an Arrow

Sage's cheeks were ruby red as she staggered, out of breath, across the bridge - traffic crawling alongside her. Pedestrians cast her strange looks as she passed. A couple on a date had to swerve to avoid colliding into her. The guy put an arm on his girlfriend's waist to guide her away from Sage's clumsy path. Sage came to a stop and clutched the stitch in her side. She watched the pair continue walking, heads close like resting doves, and Sage's heart throbbed.

Turning away from the road, she looked down at the old docks below and saw Skelrun's nightclub with a delivery truck parked up outside. Skelrun's goons were milling about outside, looking bored for something to do. She was close, so close, to the object of her obsession. But Ares' words filled her head. 'My feelings were real...'

An exhausted sob escaped her throat and she sagged against the railings. What if things really could have been real between her and Ares? Was there a different path that she could take?

"Why are you hesitating?" Ares' voice, coming suddenly from behind her, made her flinch. Sage turned and faced him, her heart trembling at his stoic expression.

"Ares, I..."

"Go to him."

Ares inclined his head, nodding to the nightclub. Its doors opened and Ezekiel stepped out with a cigarette between his lips. The Mad Dog joined the small circle of gang mates and grunted in response to their questions. He didn't see Ares and Sage standing on the bridge above.

"You're telling me to go?"

The war god nodded. She stared at him, wishing that she understood his air of indifference. "But what about us?"

"I'll pretend not to know about him."

"What about us?!"

"There is no 'us'. Only an arrow." Ares swallowed and looked determinedly above her head.

Sage wiped her tears. The wind played with her curly hair, spilling the wild strands over her eyes. She grunted suddenly, a stabbing pain piercing her temple. It was excruciating. 

Ezekiel. Must... find... Ezekiel. 

The pain seemed to be branding her, like a hot torch being pressed against the back of her eyes. A wild thought crossed her mind... she'd kill herself to stop this pain.

"Go."

Half-blind, Sage and turned and felt her way along the railing.

A gangster patted Ezekiel on the arm.

"Aint that your girl?" He said, frowning in puzzlement. "What's wrong with her?"

Ezekiel looked up and saw Sage, staggering down the steps toward them. He ran to her without a thought of hesitation, immediately anxious with panic.

"Sage!" He exclaimed as she fell into his arms. "What happened?" Why did she look so weak?

She was shivering badly and Ezekiel wrapped his arms around her, thinking she was cold. Sage wrapped her arms around Ezekiel's neck and breathed in deeply.

"Hold me." She murmured, her voice trembling as she closed her eyes.

Ares stood on the bridge and watched the scene taking place below. His expression was very still, as if etched from stone and not even air escaped his lips. Slowly he turned, stuffing his hands into his pockets, and walked away.