52. Endlessly Frustrating

"Is something going on between you and the Star Immortal?" Cesar asked her on her next shift. Zahira stiffened.

"No." Her voice sounded funny even to her ears.

"No? Where did you two go off to after work?"

Zahira bit her lip. She couldn't tell them about the gang using her place to store things, and without mentioning that, she couldn't really explain why Orion was interested in her.

"I think he was bored." She mumbled.

Cesar and Markus exchanged a look. Zahira looked really depressed. They filled in the blanks themselves and both men felt bad for the shy girl.

"He's a prick, don't think about him." Markus advised. He smiled kindly and Zahira flushed.

"Thanks." She mumbled. 

                     After work that evening, Cesar insisted that Zahira come out for drinks on Castle Hill – and he wasn't accepting no for an answer this time. Tugging on Zahira's arm, he practically dragged her to the bar. The cafe gang  sat under a tarpaulin, beneath a fan heater, and ordered beer and chicken wings. Zahira felt incredibly shy to be intruding on the group. Especially when she found herself sitting next to Sage, who she still didn't know that well.  

"Shall we play a game?" Ana suggested, bringing out a pack of cards. The others agreed and Zahira bit her lip. 

"Zahira and me will be a team." Markus suggested, moving to sit beside her. "Since you don't know the rules yet." He explained to her, giving her their cards to hold.

"Aww, I wanted Zahira to play with me." Cesar whined.

"You cheat." Markus retorted. "You'll teach her the wrong rules."

Cesar stuck out his tongue as the others laughed.

Zahira found herself having fun, despite her anxiety. The beer helped. And she didn't have to talk much. Sage and Cesar bickered like an old married couple, needing Markus to intervene to keep the peace between them. It was a fun dynamic. Ana took lots of selfies, pulling in people to join her. Zahira enjoyed some of the bizarre filters.

"I'm a lemon!" Cesar squealed excitedly, leaning his head in to join in with on the photo's and seeing his new appearance on the screen. "I've always wanted to be a lemon!"

Zahira's head was feeling fuzzy from drink and her cheeks were flushed. 

"You ok?" Sage asked. Zahira nodded, though honestly she was wishing she hadn't drank so fast. Sage's phone buzzed with an incoming call. "Hey," Sage greeted the caller. "I'm on Castle Hill, at the usual place... ok." Sage ended the call.

"Is Shoebill coming?" Markus asked, guessing who the caller had been.

"Don't call him that." Sage rebuked.

"Are you guys dating?" Ana asked.

"No." Sage sighed, clearly used to getting that question a lot. "We're friends. Please be nice to him when he comes." This last comment was aimed at Markus who put up his hands in surrender.

Zahira felt a little lost. She was the only one who didn't know who the codename 'shoebill' referred to.