17. The Worshippers of Ares

Sage stepped out of the café and half turned to hold the door open for Cesar to follow her.

"Sage."

She snapped her head around at the sound of her name being uttered by a husky male voice, and blinked in surprise.

"Ezekiel..." It seemed a very long time since he had last waited for her after work. She let the door shut (forgetting about Cesar) and approached the quiet gangster.

Cesar smacked into the glass door and pouted – he opened his mouth to protest but Markus was at his elbow. Markus spotted the Mad Dog and quickly yanked Cesar away from the door.

"Huh?" Cesar questioned.

"Shoebill's here for Sage. Stay here until he's gone." Markus towed Cesar deeper into the café, his grip tight on Cesar's elbow.

"Why?"

"I don't want you near him. He's a creep."

Cesar's expression brightened and his eyes were wide with hope.

"Are you being worried about me right now?"

Markus scowled. But there was a slight flush to his cheeks that gave Cesar further hope.

Outside, Sage stopped in front of Ezekiel.

"Hey," she greeted softly.

"Has there been any more trouble here?"

She shook her head and thanked him for his help earlier.

"None of the lads will give you trouble in the future," Ezekiel promised. He'd given them very clear orders. But still he was worried.

"Thank you."

An awkward silence fell between them. Sage tucked her hair behind her ear, wishing she could think of something to say.

"Sorry, babe." The sound of Ares' drawling voice made Sage jump out of her skin. "I didn't mean to be late picking you up." Ares had appeared out of nowhere and Sage stared anxiously at him. What if Ezekiel had noticed Ares materialise beside them? She wanted to hit him for being so careless. Also, what was he talking about? They'd never agreed for him to pick her up.

Ares put a not-so-subtle arm around Sage's shoulders. He paid attention to how Ezekiel's face darkened in response, jealousy making the Mad Dog's gaze searing. Ares smirked, good, he thought smugly. Then you should understand – Sage is mine.

The two men sized up one another, hostility thick in the air between them. Sage attempted to shrug Ares' arm off her, but he only became a dead weight around her neck in response. Clearly, he wasn't going to budge. 

"You again." Ezekiel's voice was gruff. Ares smiled, though rather then seeming friendly Sage suspected that he was baring his teeth at the Mad Dog.

"We should get going," Sage interjected, wanting this encounter to end. "Bye."

Ares allowed Sage to steer him away from Ezekiel and in the vague direction of home. Sage knew the moment they were out of sight because Ares finally loosened his grip on her. "Cool it with the possessiveness, space man." She grumbled. It was strange to consider why he was jealous.