55. Deal with the Devil

"We're being hunted down." Dante panted, leaning back against a wall. Ezekiel checked that his gun was loaded. The Star Immortal was treating his fight against the gangs as if it was a prince's wild hunt. And they were the boar that was going to wind up being roasted on a spit. Every night he just took little nips at them – letting their fear grow. Letting them wonder, when would he give the killing blow?

"We can't fight an immortal." Ezekiel muttered, shaking his head. 

"You try telling the boys that."

Ezekiel and Dante ducked down as gunfire erupted around them. The lads were putting up one hell of a fight.

"Hello gentlemen." Purred a female voice.

"Woah!" Dante exclaimed. Ezekiel flinched and pointed his gun at the woman who had apparated in front of them.

The woman was stunning but it was her eyes that caught the Mad Dog's attention. Her reptilian snake eyes.

"Who the hell are you?" Dante demanded. She grinned and there was something animalistic about her grin. She fixed her frightening gaze on Ezekiel and licked her lips.

"I believe that we share a common enemy." She moved fast, grabbing Ezekiel's collar and pulling him toward her. 

Ezekiel felt Orion's arrow cut through the air, skimming his ear before slicing exactly where his head had been - only a fraction of a second before. 

Lamia smirked at him. "And you know what they say, about your enemy's enemy..." 

***

                 It was the end of the shift and Jaz had invited the team to stay and have a meal together. Most of the cafe crew were sat around the largest table, drinking wine and listening to music, but Zahira was in the kitchen with Jaz – watching him prepare dinner for them all.

"Wow," she breathed, watching his expertise.

"Impressed?" He asked. Zahira nodded. "I used to run a seafood restaurant, many years ago." He told her. "Before I decided to switch to cakes and deserts."

"Why did you switch?" She asked. The food smelt heavenly as he prepared it. Jaz shrugged.

"It's nice to change things after a while. It stops life from becoming dull."

"What made you pick the name 'Eros and Psyche'?" She asked.

"An old promise I made, a long time ago." Jaz replied, with a faint smile on his lips. "Want me to teach you how to do this?" He asked. Zahira nodded eagerly. "Fetch me that spatula from over there. Right, now watch carefully what I'm doing..."

                 A quarter of an hour later and dinner was served.

"Dive in, vultures." Jaz urged them, grinning as they drooled over his food. Sage topped up everyone's wine glass.

"This looks delicious." Ana praised, serving herself enthusiastically.

"Zahira was my very helpful sous chef."

"I didn't do anything." Zahira meekly protested.

Zahira helped herself to a little food and then Markus topped up her plate, seeing that she'd given herself less than everyone else.