42. Hera's Crimes

"Am I you're punching bag, War God!?" Spat Lamia. Ares had her suspended from the ceiling by a chain. She hissed at him, her serpentine body writhing.

"You're nothing but a snake." Ares retorted coldly. He unleashed his power once more, filling her head with the horrific sounds of war. "Now, answer my question!" He demanded.

Lamia hissed and shrieked.

"I have answered it!"

"You expect me to believe that you removed Sage's eyes, out of pity for her?" He asked incredulous.

"Not out pity!"

"But you said-"

"I said I took them because they were cursed. That's powerful magic, and I like power. Imagine the misery I could inflict if I forced those eyes into the head of my enemy." She cackled at the idea.

Ares pulled a face of disgust.

"You're nothing but a low-life monster." He ridiculed. She glared at him, her snake-eyes flashing.

"And you're a fool who got exiled covering up his mother's crimes!"

Ares froze, shocked. Lamia laughed in his face. "How did it feel? When she didn't even speak up for you at the trial?"

Ares didn't say anything. Lamia spat fresh blood on the dirty ground. "You thought I didn't know?" She licked her lips, soaking up the taste of her own blood. "Hera's been my enemy for thousands of years, I know every foul deed she's done."

Ares pressed the blade of his sword against Lamia's throat. "But you surprised me, war god." She continued; her voice softer. "When they put you on trial for murdering my children – you knew that the crime was Hera's. But you never said anything." Lamia and Ares studied one another. "You were a loyal son." Lamia winced, swinging painfully on her chains. "She didn't deserve your loyalty."

Ares pulled back his sword from the demon's neck.

"I may not have murdered your children." He spoke softly. "But I covered up the crime for years. I do harbour that guilt. And for that reason, I will let you go today."

He swung his sword and cut the chains securing her. "But remember this, demon. If you ever harm Sage again – I'll make you suffer for a thousand years for it."

Lamia held his gaze and nodded slowly.

"Understood." She hissed. 

Ares sheathed his sword and turned to leave. "Did you ever wonder, War God?" Lamia called out. "Why Aphrodite accused you of killing my children?"

Ares hesitated. Slowly, he glanced back over his shoulder.

"Do you know?"

Lamia nodded.

"Hephaestus asked her to do it. They both knew that you'd take the fall to protect your mother. And they wanted to be the next rulers of Olympus."

Ares' jaw clenched. He'd suspected as much. Ever since Zeus' light had started to fade, he knew that the court was scheming.

"By protecting Hera, you handed your brother the crown on a dinner plate." Lamia sneered.

"They can have it." Ares retorted, turning his back on Lamia for the last time. "It's an empty treasure."