44. Mouthpiece of the Gods

"Do you remember me?" Jaz asked Eros, his gaze heated. Eros looked like a young man, with boyishly smooth skin. But his hair was completely white. Sage stared at cupid's face, and saw the traces of Ares in him. Both men had the same amber eyes and wide mouth. But Eros also had Aphrodite's petite nose and elfin chin. "Ares, no!" Jaz yelled. Ares appeared at their side, his sword out and pressed against Eros' throat.

"Don't kill him!" Jaz roared. Sage stiffened, alarmed to see pink sparks crackling from Jaz's fingers tips. He held out his arm, threatening Ares with the pink flames. Eros was staring at Jaz, looking lost and confused. "Don't you want to know who sent him here?" Jaz asked.

Grudgingly, Ares pulled back his sword slightly – no longer choking Eros with the blades edge.

"Start talking, brat." Ares growled crossly. But Eros was staring at Jaz.

"Who are you?" He breathed. Jaz took a deep breath.

"I thought so..." His voice was troubled. "You don't remember anything do you? Do you know who this man is." He inclined his head toward Ares.

"He's the war god."

"Yes, and he's your father."

Eros looked appalled at the idea.

"What?!"

Ares lowered his sword completely and frowned at his son.

"You don't remember me?"

"You can't be my father." Eros protested, backing up from them.

"You can see for yourself. Examine his heart and see your place in it." Jaz suggested. Eros was dubious and wary but he focused his gaze on Ares, using his gift as the god of desire.   

"You hate me..." He murmured carefully. "But you also harbour hurt..." Eros closed his eyes. "Hurt because I ran away from you." Eros staggered back and opened his eyes. "You love me..." The feeling was buried very deep but it was there, in Ares' heart. 

And the heart never lies.

Sage peeked over Jaz's shoulder to see what was happening.

"What's going on?" She muttered to Jaz out of the corner of her mouth. 

"Eros has the ability to read a person's heart." He explained quickly, still keeping half an eye on a potentially volatile Ares. 

"Where have you been all this time? We thought you were dead." Ares asked Eros, his nostrils flared angrily. "And you," he rounded on Jaz. "Why did you bring Sage here?"

"Because if I hid her away, a love arrow would still find her. I thought it was better to address this head on." Jaz explained. Everyone's gazes dropped to the arrow still notched on Eros' bow. Hesitantly, Eros relaxed his grip on the string. 

 "Who sent you to fire an arrow at Sage?" Jaz asked him. Eros bit his lip and hesitated before finally replying. 

"The Lady Metis."

Ares and Jaz frowned and looked at one another, taken aback.

"The Cunning Nymph?"

"That doesn't make any sense." Metis was greatly respected for her wisdom, what would she gain from a trick like this?