34. New Eyes

Sage sat at a table on her own on Castle Hill. She poured herself another drink and leant languidly on her elbow as she necked the strong spirits. Around her, people laughed and chatted and Sage smiled to herself – watching them.

Marvelling that she could once again, watch them. She'd missed this. 

Her new eyes, crafted by the gods, were beautiful. They were a vibrant shade of lapis blue and, up close, their mystic origin was slightly hinted by subtle extra pupil that only showed as a thin black ring in her iris. 

Sage's phone buzzed next to her hand with a message from Jaz.

Where are you? It's late.

She snorted and shook her head at her phone screen. It wasn't that late. The pubs were still open and serving. And she wanted to soak in the atmosphere a little longer. A wind rattled the marquee and Sage looked up at the clear plastic sheeting and admired the night sky.  She would never again underappreciate the ability to see stars and the moon.

Tears pricked her eyes but she didn't notice them. Hiccupping, she refilled her glass. Her head was becoming fuzzy but she didn't mind that. She'd been hoping for it. She drank and she sighed happily.

For four months she'd been trying to cope. She'd been clinging onto the good things in life and trying to accept that she would never see again. Now, a miracle had happened. She felt like she'd become a small boat that was drifting out to sea. How much of herself had she shut down, to cope with the loss of her sight? She'd ignored any feeling that hurt too much. Any dream or wish that felt no longer possible.

Now, everything had been returned to her. She rested her chin on her hands and smiled contentedly. It was overwhelming. It felt too good to be true. It was hard to accept. It was impossible not be afraid that one day she'd be blind again.

Sage shivered and tried to push away the fear. It bubbled up inside of her, clawing its way up her throat. With grim determination, she downed her drink and tried not to think at all.

Her phone vibrated with an incoming call and Sophia's name flashed up on the screen.

"Hello?" Sage answered dreamily.

"Jaz is having kittens. I think he's worried some spectre from the underworld has come to steal your magic eyes." Sophia's tone conveyed fully that she was rolling her eyes.

"No, no spec-spec..." Sage gave up with the complicated word. "I'm all good."

"You sound merry. Should I come join you for some drinks?"

"Aren't you busy?"

Sophia got an uber to Castle Hill and was there in twenty minutes. She sat down with Sage, ordered food (to be sensible) and drink (to screw being sensible).

"Wow." Sophia murmured, staring at Sage's new eyes for the first time. She'd known to expect them, but they weren't as she'd imagined. "Couldn't they get you your old colour?"

Sage shrugged. 

"I guess not."

"Well, I'm happy for you, Sage."

"Are you still living with Jaz then?" Sophia asked as they clinked glasses. Sage nodded.

"For now." She'd already sold her apartment months ago and so didn't have anywhere else to go yet.