30. You Drive Me Crazy

Sage stopped biting Skelrun and instead held still. Very aware of the gun he had pressed to her temple. Skelrun's cold gaze was without mercy. Sage was panting for breath, her thoughts running a thousand miles an hour. Trying to formulate a strategy. That was when a shadow spread over her and the gangster. She saw Skelrun's eyes narrow and then, in her periphery, she saw another gun.

The gun came over her shoulder and aimed at Skelrun's head.

"What the fuck?!" Ezekiel growled.

"Lower your gun, or I shoot her."

"Shoot her and I'll shoot you!"

Sage turned her head, her angle uncomfortable since she draped across Skelrun's chest. She saw Ezekiel's face. He looked utterly devastated.

"Can you really do it?" Skelrun purred. "Can you really pull the trigger?" He seemed to be enjoying Ezekiel's pain. Sage wished that it wasn't obvious, but even she could see that Ezekiel's hand was shaking.

"Why? Why are you doing this?!" Ezekiel demanded. "This woman doesn't owe you any money."

"This isn't about her. It's about you." Skelrun gripped Sage and rearranged them, so that they were sat up, with her body acting as a shield for him. "And your bid to be top dog."

"I've done everything you ever asked me to do!" Ezekiel yelled. "Why the fuck would I betray you!?"

"I know what the men are saying." Skelrun snapped, spit spraying from his mouth. "That I'm getting old. That I'm past my best. They look to you for the future." Skelrun's nostrils flared. "Well not whilst I'm still breathing!"

Skelrun moved the gun, aiming it instead at Ezekiel. His eyes were shining with malice. He could already smell victory. Ezekiel was gaping at the man he'd always looked to as a father-figure. Anger seemed to be slipping from Ezekiel fast, being replaced by sadness. His lip spasmed, making his chin quiver, and his finger slipped from the trigger. Skelrun grinned.

What happened next, surprised everyone.

A horse, covered in flames, materialised in the living room. Sage leapt out of the way and stood protectively in front of Ezekiel as Thrax, warhorse of the gods, reared up at the gangster. Skelrun cried out in fear, flinging up his arms to shield his face. He fired his gun. But a gunshot wasn't going to stop a fire-breathing stallion. Sage screamed as the horse's powerful hoofs crushed Skelrun – pulverising his body.

Ezekiel made to lunge forward but Sage stopped him, holding him back from intervening. Thrax's powerful hoofs crunched Skelrun's bones, branding his body with blistering burns with every kick. Skelrun hadn't managed to put up a fight. His remains lay broken. His head was completely caved in and his brain had been pulverised into the carpet.

A hush settled over the living room.

"Guys...?" Cesar piped up at last. "Can anyone else see a horse?"

"No." Sage replied quickly, her voice rough.

Cesar nodded. Yeah, that answer made sense. Because horses weren't generally in living rooms. And they weren't usually on fire either...

"I think I've lost too much blood." He muttered. 

Thrax vanished. But there were scorch marks on the floor from where he'd been standing. Ezekiel groaned and covered his mouth with his hands. He was staring at Skelrun's body and tears were filling his eyes.