31. Return of the War God

4 months later

Rain lashed down from the heavens. It beat against the car bonnets and glistened on the tarmac. The city's night lights cast bright aura's in the storm. Running inside from the rain, Sophia nearly collided into the waiting doorman.

"Sorry, miss." The man murmured politely.

"It's fine." Sophia replied, not sparing him a glance.

She headed briskly across the marble foyer, aware that numerous eyes were following her. Other residents in the expensive tower block were eyeing her speculatively. Sophia Moridi was the talk of the city. The heiress' investments had struck gold and Sophia had gone from wealthy socialite to a billionaire, virtually overnight. She was the ultimate catch for any social climber or investor – and practically everybody wanted to sink their claws into her.

It was as if everything the pretty woman touched, turned to gold.

Raising her chin and acting aloof, Sophia entered the elevator and told the bellboy to take her to the top floor. Sophia stood poised in her high heels and watched the numbers speed by as they rapidly climbed to the penthouse floor. Her umbrella by her side dripped continually on the carpeted floor, creating a puddle. The doors of the elevator finally pinged and Sophia stepped gracefully out.

Once she was through the front door of her apartment, Sophia finally relaxed her shoulders. She was alone at last. A heavy sigh escaped her and she kicked off her heels. It had been a tedious day. She padded barefoot over to the kitchen and slumped her handbag down on the counter. She was rubbing a crick in her neck, when she noticed a half-drunk glass of water on the side.

Sophia tensed immediately. Somebody had been here. They could still be in the apartment with her. Stories of serial killers flashed across her mind. She turned and bolted for the front door.

"Sophia." A voice called out to her. Sophia skidded to a stop, relieved to recognise that voice. Of course, who else could have gotten through a locked door?

"Ares." She turned slowly and eventually saw him, sat on the long couch. "You're back." 

Her relief that it wasn't a serial killer in her house had faded, to be replaced by irritation. "I suppose I'm forced to once again be your servant." When he'd gone, she'd really hoped that was the last she'd see of him or any god.

Sophia frowned, studying Ares' profile. He seemed different somehow. "Why are you back?" She sat down on the chair across from him. He looked tired. Sophia couldn't remember ever seeing Ares look tired before.

"I tried to stay away." Defeat rang heavy in his tone.

He'd tried, he really had. Sage was better off without him. He'd travelled the world. He'd tried to distract himself. Even the wars in East hadn't ended the pain of his longing though. He missed Sage. He thought about her every day. In his head, they'd had conversations for hours on end. Finally, he'd surrendered. He needed to see her.

"Are you back for good?"

"It depends." He was back to beg Sage to take him back. But whether he stayed or not depended on her. He hung his head. But Sage was in love with Ezekiel, what exactly was he hoping for? He knew it was pointless. But he was past being able to live one day at a time. Never had a day seemed so long before. Never had eternity felt so bleak.