14. The Beast

Many years ago,

"Ares, no!" Aphrodite stood in front of Adonis, shielding him from her immortal lover. Snarling, Ares grabbed Aphrodite by her arm and pulled her against him.

"Why can't I be here? Why can't I meet your mortal lover?" He spat. Aphrodite felt like a weak twig in his grip. Knowing she'd never win the fight - she placed a placating hand on his chest.

"Leave him be, Ares. He is young and mortal. His life should not trouble the universes greatest warrior." Her sweet words mollified the war god, as she'd known they would.

He kissed her demandingly and she submitted to his dominance, yielding against his lips. But the storm wasn't yet over. Ares pulled back from their embrace, his golden eyes glowing.

"Do you love him?"

Her hesitation was the wrong answer.

Ares pushed her away from him, letting her fall to the ground at his feet.

"It's my nature to love," she retorted.

"And it's mine to kill."

Aphrodite flinched, startled by the threat. A silvery tear slipped down her ethereal face.

"I can not give him up, Ares."

Ares took a step back – appalled.

"What about us?"His voice was raw, the question burning him as he uttered it. Was she really choosing a frail mortal over him? Adonis was just a boy with no powers or importance. Why him?  

"I won't give up you either, my love."

Ares bellowed in frustration. He was tired of Aphrodite's games.

"Tell your boy goodbye and return to me."

Aphrodite gazed up at him through her thick lashes, an unknown emotion flashing across her indigo eyes – too quick for Ares to read.

"Is that an order, your highness?"

Ares moved fast and seized her by her slender throat. Aphrodite whimpered, truly scared. She hadn't meant to waken the beast that resided in Ares' soul. She trembled - aware that no rescue coming. Ares was war. War could change a man - could strip him of his being and make him monstrous. Ares had a beast inside of him -  a beast that Aphrodite had never been able to tame. 

Ares brought her face close to hers and lowered his magical shields – allowing her to see his true form. Let her see the beast, he decided. Let her understand fear.

"I will be forgiving," he purred coldly, "if you leave him now."

Present day,

"Ares? What is it? What does it mean?" Sage tugged on Ares' sleeve, trying to drag him from his thoughts. She frowned at the graffiti.

Remember Adonis.

Why was Ares reacting so strangely to two simple words?

Ares pulled Sage against him and hugged her close. Sage's eyes widened, her face smooshed against his hard torso, and Ares savoured the feel of her pounding heart – beating against his own.